Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unexpected Death

4 posters

Go down

Unexpected Death Empty Unexpected Death

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe Mon 28 May 2018, 10:39 pm

Hi, I'm a new mouse mom, and I had a very pregnant mouse named Possum...but she passed away unexpectedly today. I don't know why, or how- she was fine this morning. So can someone please shed some light on the situation? She had a hard(ish) belly that I thought were babies, and a little discharge from her vulva.

Please, someone help so I can make sure I didn't cause this. I would never want to hurt an animal like this. She will be buried with flowers tomorrow
Here are pictures of here before and after passing:
Before:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/91/81/99/receiv12.jpg
^^^ That was taken this morning

After:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/91/81/99/receiv13.jpg

The discharge:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/91/81/99/20180513.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/91/81/99/20180514.jpg

Fly high little one, we will meet again at the rainbow bridge

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Unexpected Death Empty Re: Unexpected Death

Post by Peachy Mon 28 May 2018, 10:58 pm

Do you expect she was due? Was she nervous in the first picture? Pinned back ears, scruffy fur and the hunched position are all signs of something unhealthy. Possibly there was a birthing complication, very unlikely to be caused by you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine. My best to you. Good vibes
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe Mon 28 May 2018, 11:05 pm

I was expecting her to give birth some time this week, but no she wasn't nervous. She was just being petted and was curling her tail all happy. She was running around earlier and now....she's gone. I even looked for pinkies in the cage but I couldn't find any.

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 29 May 2018, 7:56 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, we can only guess as to what might have happened. You could take her to a vet for a necropsy if you need for sure answers. Otherwise, maybe a birthing complication like Peachy said or it’s possible it was a mass in her belly and not a pregnancy. hugs

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 29 May 2018, 9:08 am

I'm so very sorry for your loss. This is so very sad. Like CallaLily mentioned, maybe it was a mass in her stomach and not a pregnancy. No matter what happened, it is nothing at all that you did. Unfortunately sometimes things like this just happen. Even though her time with you and Skunk was short, she knows she was loved very much. How is Skunk doing? It would probably be a good idea to introduce 1 or 2 new girls to Skunk as soon as possible so she isn't alone for too long, after quarantining the new girls. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. The picture of Possum with the flowers is so precious. Sending lots of hugs to you and Skunk.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe Tue 29 May 2018, 4:34 pm

Skunk was VERY stressed out all night; she wouldn't stop running on her wheel. She wouldn't eat. So I promptly headed out this morning and picked up her last two sisters from the pet store.

They're squeaking at each other, but sharing food and grooming too...if you have any advice I wrote an entire post on it. Hopefully having her family back will calm her down once they all get settled in.

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 29 May 2018, 8:37 pm

Hope4Allwhobreathe wrote:Skunk was VERY stressed out all night; she wouldn't stop running on her wheel. She wouldn't eat. So I promptly headed out this morning and picked up her last two sisters from the pet store.

They're squeaking at each other, but sharing food and grooming too...if you have any advice I wrote an entire post on it. Hopefully having her family back will calm her down once they all get settled in.

Awww, poor Skunk. I'm so glad you were able to get her last two sisters! That worked out good as I wouldn't think in this case you would need to quarantine them since they were together just about two weeks ago. And to tell you the truth, even if they weren't from the same litter, I would have risked skipping the quarantine in this case as I think the sooner the better Skunk has company. Sounds like they are getting along just fine. Squeaking is normal. A very good sign they are sharing food and grooming one another. The general rule is to just let them work things out on their own. The only time it's recommended to give time outs during introductions is if there is blood shed. Other than that, you just have to let them squeak a bit. They are just working out who is going to be in charge Very Happy Love the names of all the girls.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down