Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this habitat ok?

+2
chiroptera
Daydream
6 posters

Go down

Is this habitat ok? Empty Is this habitat ok?

Post by Daydream Sat 02 Jun 2018, 2:53 am

I would like to put my mice in a new, bigger home. I have two questions; the main one is whether or not the following cage would be decent for my 3 mouse girls:
https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/savic-spelos-xl-entry-assorted-colours-59x37x26cm-p-26524?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=displayremarketing&utm_campaign=criteodisplay

It is allegedly 59cm x 37cm x 26cm, (approx. 24' x 15' x 10') which I THINK is bigger than my 10 gallon aquarium for them, but the rounded corners confuse me and the ramp seems to take up a lot of space.

The second question, which is not so related to mice, is if I do move my mice to a different enclosure... would I be able to use the aquarium they're currently in for fish later? As in, is there any way I can clean it to be safe for a fish? I don't know if anyone here would know that, but I just wanted to check. (I still have the filter and stuff the aquarium originally came with Neutral )

Orbit, Flopsy & Mopsy the guinea pigs
Neo & Pring the king quails
and their quail chicks Bit, Byte, & Megabyte
Daydream
Daydream
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Is this habitat ok? Empty Re: Is this habitat ok?

Post by chiroptera Sat 02 Jun 2018, 12:55 pm

@Daydream

I would think that that habitat is too small, though I'm not 100% sure as I'm not very good at judging scale, so don't take my word for it.

As far as your aquarium - first thing's first, is it sealed well enough to hold water? You'll need to test out whether the silicone seals are all still intact, since terrariums aren't always watertight.

If it holds water, and you decide to get fish do NOT use soap to clean it out. Soap will kill your fish. You can use either a mixture of vinegar and water, OR you can let it soak in bleach, as bleach will dry out. If you do use the bleach, make sure you water it down and make sure you do it outside or in a very very well-ventilated area. Essentially, you want to let the bleach and water soak for a while to remove all the germs/mouse mess, rinse it out, and then let it completely evaporate before putting anything alive into it.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/is-bleach-safe-for-aquarium-use-1381085 This guide explains what I'm talking about, though personally I would give it much longer than 15 minutes to air dry/evaporate.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadamouse Sun 03 Jun 2018, 6:16 am

i personally don't think that cage is very good for mice. while yes floor space wise may be fine, (not definitely because of the rounded corners) those types of cages just aren't very nice to house your mice in. honestly, in my opinion, you would be better off getting a large bin and making it into a bin cage, or making a diy cage out of wood. the wheel would likely not be big enough too.

as for the tank, yes you can use it for fish as long as it is well cleaned (not with soap as mentioned above) and water tight.

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 03 Jun 2018, 9:58 am

I agree with what has already been said. I believe between the 10 gallon tank and the cage you listed, the 10 gallon tank would be a better choice. Bin cages are always a good choice because they are inexpensive and you can customize them any way you like. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Sun 03 Jun 2018, 11:40 pm

Just wanted to add that I have seen these cages in person and they are very small! One of the biggest problems aside from poor ventilation is that hardly any toys, houses, tunnels etc. fit in. They are kind of like a small container you would put baking in but about three times the price. I definitely agree with Rodents rock!, try out a bin cage. They are great Smile Thanks
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydream Tue 05 Jun 2018, 6:59 am

Thank you! I won't bother with that cage then Smile

Orbit, Flopsy & Mopsy the guinea pigs
Neo & Pring the king quails
and their quail chicks Bit, Byte, & Megabyte
Daydream
Daydream
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Tue 05 Jun 2018, 8:44 pm

Just with regards to the tank and using it for fish later on. It's definitely possible but I would, of course, clean it thoroughly and look at resealing it - it's possible the mice may have chewed on the sealant and damaged its integrity meaning it may leak or may within a short time.
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down