Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh Air Screen Habitat? Glass Terrarium?

2 posters

Go down

Fresh Air Screen Habitat? Glass Terrarium? Empty Fresh Air Screen Habitat? Glass Terrarium?

Post by FawnWrites Fri 03 Jan 2020, 11:05 pm

I'm looking to get some pet mice in the next 4 to 6 weeks, and I'm looking into different cage styles.

While researching, I found two reptile cages that looked really interesting for mice!

https://www.zillarules.com/all-products/terrariums/fresh-air-screen-habitat

Fresh Air Screen Habitat? Glass Terrarium? F96c8fe555249b0b024cebd4473584d0

I REALLY like the big front doors and the mesh quality of the habitat. Would this be alright for 2 or 3 mice? It seems deep enough to hold a fair bit of substrate.

Do you think I'd be able to attach toys and different items to the meshing?

Dimensions for Small: 18" x 12" x 20"
Dimensions for Large: 30" x 18" x 30"

The second habitat I thought looked interesting was this glass terrarium, made the same company (zilla).
LOTS of different sizes available.

I would love everyone's input on these! Total newbie here, appreciating anyone taking the time to comment. I'm excited about the air screen habitat!

FawnWrites

Back to top Go down

Fresh Air Screen Habitat? Glass Terrarium? Empty Re: Fresh Air Screen Habitat? Glass Terrarium?

Post by Oreoandfriends Sat 04 Jan 2020, 1:40 pm

Both cages look beautiful!
If the fresh air cage has soft mesh, then the mice will be able to chew out of it. The amount of floor space that cage has is about 200 square inches which is the absolute minimum for 1 male or 2-3 females, but most owners prefer to use larger spaces (I like using 20 gallon long tanks for my trios which is about 360 square inches Smile ). It is tall though which is really great for mice who enjoy climbing! I think it would be easy to hand toys in, I use sisal string to hang my toys from the hard mesh on my bin cages.
The large size is about 500 square inches, if your mice are bonded when you get them then that size would be perfect! My current 2 females are in a 700 square inch cage packed with toys and they use up all the space.
I personally love the look of glass cages. They’re really secure and pretty much impossible to escape, but sometimes the ventilation isn’t very great which makes it harder to use a tall cage. I believe these models have ventilation of the top and sides though, so that would be much better.
I hope this helped! Either cage should work, it would more just come down to personal preference:)
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Fresh Air Screen Habitat? Glass Terrarium? Empty Re: Fresh Air Screen Habitat? Glass Terrarium?

Post by FawnWrites Sat 04 Jan 2020, 4:13 pm

Thank you so much for the reply, it's really helpful! I also briefly spoke to the youtube creator of the Emiology channel about the exo terra cage, and it looks like that's what I'll be focusing on!

Unfortunately it's tough to hang stuff inside them, but the ventilation seems good and I'd like to incorporate a rock wall on the back so the mice at least have something to scamper over!

https://www.bigappleherp.com/products/custom-3d-backgrounds-for-exo-terra-terrariums?variant=19115932647493

I'd love feedback on this as well! I'm really excited to create a sort of 'jungle' type habitat for my future mice! Smile

FawnWrites

Back to top Go down

Post by Oreoandfriends Sun 05 Jan 2020, 7:40 am

FawnWrites wrote:Thank you so much for the reply, it's really helpful! I also briefly spoke to the youtube creator of the Emiology channel about the exo terra cage, and it looks like that's what I'll be focusing on!

Unfortunately it's tough to hang stuff inside them, but the ventilation seems good and I'd like to incorporate a rock wall on the back so the mice at least have something to scamper over!

https://www.bigappleherp.com/products/custom-3d-backgrounds-for-exo-terra-terrariums?variant=19115932647493

I'd love feedback on this as well! I'm really excited to create a sort of 'jungle' type habitat for my future mice! Smile

No problem, that sounds like a great idea! Maybe you could line the top on the inside with 1/4 or 1/2 inch metal hardware mesh so it’s easier to hang things. You could possible secure it with pet safe silicone or wires (in my crested gecko exo terra tank I was able to poke a wire through the top to hang a coconut hide).
I think the mice would LOVE that rock wall, that’s a really cool idea! My mice have always thrived in more naturalistic setups, you could even section off the cage so it’s partly eco earth dirt, mine love digging in that Smile
Good luck and give updates on how it’s going if you can!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down