Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New mouse

4 posters

Go down

New mouse Empty New mouse

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Sun 05 Aug 2018, 3:37 pm

Hi.

I rescued a female mouse from a less than optimal living situation yesterday. They said she was around 1 year old and used to have friends but one escaped and the other passed away from a tumor. She came with her cage (Pet one three tier mouse cage) which is really not great at all. She has a crink in her tail from a tiny wheel as well as an infestation of mites Sad
I have cleaned her cage as they had never cleaned it and have given her nesting material, a couple of toys and some hides. Any ideas on how to add temporary levels to the cage she came with? I will link a photo. Also, she is very overweight from being fed wild bird seeds as her only diet so any tips of getting some of the weight off her?

https://www.animates.co.nz/pet-one-3-level-mouse-cage.html

Thanks heaps in advance!
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

New mouse Empty Re: New mouse

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Sun 05 Aug 2018, 4:07 pm

QUICK NOTE: I have a massive bin cage ready for when I get a couple more girls so this cage is only temporary.
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

Post by JuniperBerry55 Sun 05 Aug 2018, 4:15 pm

That's so sad! Good on you for rescuing her.

That cage is fine size wise (Though taller cages aren't usually preferred) you could try adding lots of hanging toys that she can climb to make use of the space, it'll also help her lose weight to climb around on them. For levels I usually sure wire cake cooling trays, but I'd think the cage would be too narrow for that. Corflute is a good material that's strong enough to hold weight and easy to wipe down - if you can figure out a way to attach it that would be a good way to make levels.

JuniperBerry55

Taurus Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 06 Aug 2018, 12:00 pm

The only things you can really do to try to help with the weight are give her plenty of exercise (in and out of cage), place the food dish higher up or scatter feed or food puzzles to make her work for it a little more, and cut back on treats (cutting out junky sugary treats altogether). Her main food should never be restricted. Mice have very high metabolisms and need to eat small, very frequent meals throughout the day/night. Actually, good quality bird seeds are often highly recommended as a base food for their main diet. So that may not be to blame. To prevent selective feeding, only refill the dish when she’s eaten most of it. They’ll always eat their fav bits first but this way makes sure they’re also eating the rest of the mix too.

That cage really is too small, I’m glad you have an upgrade. Smile

Some mice are just genetically prone to obesity and really all you can do is the above to try to prevent it from getting way out of control. What color variety is she, out of curiosity?

I’m glad you were able to take this mouse in and give her a better home and some friends eventually. I hope you’ll share pics of them. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Tue 07 Aug 2018, 12:08 am

Thank you Smile I believe she is a Himalayan but won't be 100% until she is in better condition.
Pics on the way ( her new friends are arriving Thursday).
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Tue 07 Aug 2018, 12:14 am

New mouse ?type=3&theater

Not sire if it will work
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Tue 07 Aug 2018, 12:15 am

*sure

Will attach a photo later
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

New mouse Empty Getting your Mouse Moving

Post by AmyLynn Thu 09 Aug 2018, 4:56 pm

So my boy Pepper put on some weight too at one point. He was eating his corn cob litter instead of using it as a bathroom Shocked we stopped using it for him.

I bought him a Critter Cruiser to get him some extra exercise. I love it because it has 3 settings: Run in Place, Run on the Floor, Run on a track. So I could let him run around the kitchen or keep him stationary. Plus unlike other balls and wheels the plastic car around doesn't just look cute, it acts like a bumper.

Amazon Link to Car
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AS8RK/ref=emc_b_5_t
You can but these at most pet stores.

I also found the following website on enrichment helpful it coming up with activities to keep my mice active.
https://www.petcoach.co/article/toys-and-other-environmental-enrichment-for-rats-and-mice/

If you are on a budget check out the DIY toy section...
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/f21-mouse-diys

Hope this helps get your mouse moving  Dance

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn