Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP-- Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant

3 posters

Go down

HELP--  Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant Empty HELP-- Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant

Post by Sunday Sat 22 Sep 2018, 8:02 pm

EDIT: I found someone who is willing to take her babies if they survive <3
------------

So my pet mouse, Carmo, got out of her cage on like September 9th or 10th.
She was in the house for a day, before I caught her.

I just came back from a two day trip, and I feel like she's gained weight...  I'm considering maybe there's a wild mouse that got her pregnant?

I don't know what to do at all if she is..  I have 5 mice, I've never bred and never planned on it, and I've only had them for about a month now.  If she is pregnant, what do I do??  What'll happen?

She's 3-6 months old (past owner didn't say) and if she is pregnant, the mice will be half wild right?  I'm really stressed out and worried for my girl.

Last edited by Sunday on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunday
Sunday

Virgo

Back to top Go down

HELP--  Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant Empty Re: HELP-- Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 22 Sep 2018, 8:58 pm

Do you have a picture of her? That way we could tell you whether we think she looks pregnant or not. A pregnant mouse will usually have a "swallowed a golf ball" shape. As for what you can do for her if she his pregnant, I'd recommend reading over the breeding packet found here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

It has a ton of super helpful information on how to care for momma mouse and her babies when they are born.

If she mated with a wild mouse, then yes the babies will be half wild. If you handle them from a young age though and continue to interact with them, I believe they can be just as tame as a normal domestic mousie.

HELP--  Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

HELP--  Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant Empty Re: HELP-- Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant

Post by Sunday Sat 22 Sep 2018, 9:10 pm

Here's a few pictures of her (if it works, I'm new to forums, sorry!)
She got out on the 10th, so she'd have about 9-12 days left if she is pregnant, right?

She was pretty small before. And so when I came home an hour ago, I noticed a difference in her size, unless she grew??

HELP--  Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant Img_5610
HELP--  Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant Img_5612
HELP--  Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant Img_5611

Virgo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunday Sat 22 Sep 2018, 9:14 pm

If pregnant... What do I do with her babies..?
I don't have room for any more mice, especially half wild mice Sad
HELP--  Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant Img_5613
Sunday
Sunday

Virgo

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 22 Sep 2018, 9:27 pm

It's hard to tell from the last 2 pictures, but in the first one she definitely has that rounded look of a pregnant mouse. For starters, I'd definitely separate her from her cagemate(s) until you know she is/isn't pregnant. Here is some info from the breeding packet showing a nursery tank, you want to make something similar for your mouse so you can house her alone until she is either confirmed not pregnant or is done nursing her babies: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet#72

Mice are pregnant for 19-21 days, so around that yes.

The breeding packet also has info on re-homing mice. I've actually seen half-wild mice for adoption on Craigslist before, it happens more often than you think. If you are unable to find good homes for them yourself, do you have a shelter near you willing to take in mice? I would try it in this order: Do I have family or friends willing to take these mice and care for them well? If not, can I re-home them properly to good homes on sites like Craigslist or Facebook groups? If those two were unsuccessful, can I drop them off at a shelter that will care for them until they find a good home?

HELP--  Wild mouse may have gotten my mouse pregnant Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunday Sat 22 Sep 2018, 9:38 pm

I'll definitely separate her! I wasn't sure because I heard some people keep theirs together and some separate. I'll stay up and read this all.

I'm the first and only mouse person in my family/friend circle, so hopefully rehoming them will work out.

Thanks sooo much for your help!

Virgo

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 23 Sep 2018, 9:48 am

I know she was loose for a day and that’s probably it (if she is pregnant), but I wanted to say just in case — double check that your other mice she’s been living with are female. If you haven’t already. Wink

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunday Sun 23 Sep 2018, 10:01 am

@CallaLily Will do! Smile
She's actually just housed with her mother (checked anyways haha), I have other females I just got the other day, in quarantine.

Speaking of which, should I hold off on introducing my mice together or should I introduce the two new ones with the non-pregnant one..? Cause she'll be lonely?

Virgo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum