Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I add another mouse?

3 posters

Go down

Should I add another mouse? Empty Should I add another mouse?

Post by PeachesandPepper92918 Thu 18 Oct 2018, 7:31 am

My two girls have recently began having small arguments and scuffles. This happens multiple times a night, but I’m not sure what it’s over, because when I get up or turn on a flashlight, my mouse Pepper runs and hides, as she is still pretty scared of me, though is improving. I’m pretty sure Peaches is just becoming really bossy because Pepper is so submissive, but it could be the other way around, I never see the scuffles, I only hear them. Would adding another mouse help balance out the pecking order? I had originally planned on getting a male, so I didn’t know ahead of time that they did better in groups instead of pairs. If so, how long should I quarantine her? Can I only get one other female, or will being alone for a few weeks cause more harm than good, especially if she is as shy as Pepper?
PeachesandPepper92918
PeachesandPepper92918

Back to top Go down

Should I add another mouse? Empty Re: Should I add another mouse?

Post by CallaLily Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:05 pm

Three or more females in a group usually does balance things out more. That way there isn’t just one submissive mouse getting all of the dominant mouse’s attention. It’s recommended to quarantine new mice for at least 3 weeks, then introduce properly on neutral ground.  If you only want one more female, she’ll be fine on her own for that short time and you can use it to your advantage to give her more one-on-one taming.

More info on Quarantine,  Taming, and Introductions.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Fri 19 Oct 2018, 1:37 am

Yeah why not get another one?

Scuffles are pretty normal.

I had a girl that liked living on her own more than with her sisters so I am pretty sure a little mousie will be fine for a few weeks by herself. Just make sure you got a good selection of treats to add slowly, (like a new treat every 3 days, so she always has something new) and talk to her a fair amount when she's up and active on wheel (if she likes it).

It helps to talk to them a lot when you enter or leave the room just say they get used to you faster, I mean talk at them not like right up in their face, but just sort of announce you are about to move.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down