Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Female mice fighting for dominance?

5 posters

Go down

Female mice fighting for dominance? Empty Female mice fighting for dominance?

Post by ky210 Sun 04 Nov 2018, 7:30 pm

Hello! I know I've made a topic like this before, but the problem I'm having is a bit different.

I have two female mice and every time I change the bedding, they fight. It's usually fine, a quick squabble and they're fine. No blood, and it doesn't happen again. But just a bit ago I changed the bedding and they're consistenly fighting. No blood, but I'm very worried there might be some soon. I don't have an extra water bottle right now either, so I can't remove the more aggressive one. There was squeaking, but I hear that they also do that when they play so I'm not sure. I've checked on them periodically and they haven't drawn blood and haven't fought again. And another question, if they draw blood, do I have to keep them permanently separated? But yeah, that's about it. Any help would be appreciated, as it seems I can never be too sure about anything with my mice lol.

Thanks! Smile

ky210

Back to top Go down

Female mice fighting for dominance? Empty Re: Female mice fighting for dominance?

Post by oriaxel Sun 04 Nov 2018, 8:40 pm

I don't know about housing them separately if they draw blood, but have you tried leaving some of the dirty bedding in there to avoid a squabble? It's possible they feel like they have to reset the hierarchy in 'new territory,' since everything's been cleaned and the more dominant one feels like she has to tell the other one, "HEY! I'm still the boss even though my scent isn't here."
Just a hunch, though.
oriaxel
oriaxel

Leo

Back to top Go down

Female mice fighting for dominance? Empty Re: Female mice fighting for dominance?

Post by ky210 Sun 04 Nov 2018, 9:25 pm

Yes, I did that before they started fighting. I put some dirty bedding on the top of the clean stuff and I leave a wooden house that smells like them both in their. I wipe off the gross stuff on it but it's wood, so it can't be truly cleaned. It smells of their scents, so I can't see why they're still fighting. The aggressor (the more dominant one, Eclipse) would stand up in front of my other mouse Zodiac and then attack her. Needless to say, Zodiac fought her back. I've separated them because the fighting was getting out of hand and they were biting each other pretty hard. I looked and didn't see any blood but I do not trust them together right now. I'll put them back together tomorrow and watch for a while and see how they treat each other, as I've seen that you should separate mice if they fight for a day or so.

And thank you so much for your help! I'm just trying to figure this out because they've been together for a year now (almost exactly!) and were from the same family. Love

ky210

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahjling Mon 05 Nov 2018, 2:41 am

It happens, no blood? no foul. Do keep an eye out for it though if you see real biting.

My girls have lived together for almost a year now and they beep at one another a few times daily. (it's usually just a little sibling argument over a snack)

You may actually have a little more luck with more than two mice, 4 is optimal for social groups, it allows them to exhibit more natural social behavior and helps take the heat off anyone being picked on.

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorFluffs Mon 05 Nov 2018, 1:07 pm

In my opinion, let them squabble it out. Occasional fights are common, and they will handle it themselves. Just keep an eye out for blood being drawn and if they sleep apart! If they're still cuddling together at the end of the day all is well in mouse haven Very Happy
If they do draw blood it's not the end of the world. Separate them for 2-3 days. Reintroduce. If they fight again, do it again and watch them carefully. The only reason you should permanently separate is if they absolutely cannot live together!
DoctorFluffs
DoctorFluffs

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Mon 05 Nov 2018, 8:24 pm

Like everyone said, scuffles happen! If you see real intense fighting that looks likely to lead to blood, it's not a bad idea to separate.

Like Mahjling said, it's best to have more than 2, a trio is usually recommended here, I think! But then if one is being aggressive, there's (hopefully) not just one more submissive mouse being targeted. And, if you have more than 2 mice, you can separate the aggressive mouse for a "time out" alone, without "punishing" the other one with being alone. When Mahjong gets overly aggressive, I take her out from her sisters for a little bit, and then she's on her best behavior again when she realizes she doesn't want to be all by herself!

If blood is drawn, it doesn't mean the mice can never be together happily, you should try to reintroduce. Perhaps try a change of environment, adding another sister, etc. before considering them being solitary as females.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down