Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Female mice keep fighting- help!

4 posters

Go down

Female mice keep fighting- help! Empty Female mice keep fighting- help!

Post by omlette Thu 05 Aug 2021, 9:50 pm

Hello! I recently bought two fancy mice on July 28, both are females. I’m not knowledgeable on mice and their behaviors so id really like some help! Around a day or so after they have lived in their new home they have started to have small fights with each other usually just 5 seconds or such. I thought it was due to territorial issues (read this on the web) so id let it slide. However currently their fights have gotten really ugly and it happens a lot more times when I let them out of their cage (I let them free roam safely since Meeb appeared to like being outside more).Usually the more chubbier one called Mooncake picks fights with Meeb, who is more slimmer and in good shape. Mooncake’s sides towards her hind legs are chubbier, almost looking pregnant. However when I bought them at Petsmart they were both in a female enclosure. Before they fight they go in circles with each other, sniffing each others bottom(?). They usually squeal and make noises when they fight but sometimes they fight in complete silence which I find odd. Sometimes they thump their tails which I have learned is when they are displeased with another. Please help ! Could it be that Mooncake is pregnant or a male? Or is it really just do to territorial issues? Thank you !!

omlette

Back to top Go down

Female mice keep fighting- help! Empty Re: Female mice keep fighting- help!

Post by Crabby Fri 06 Aug 2021, 4:12 am

Its recommended to keep at least 3 females together, because two cannot establish a hierarchy and will fight over and over for the pole position.
Its unlikely that they are a male and a female, males tend to stress the female in the first days of contact, but after the female is pregnant, he will bound with her, they will play together and do grooming.
If a female is pregnant and the other is not, it is likely that the not-pregnant female will support the pregnancy of the pregnant one and help with raising the babies.
Two males display often the behavior you describe, they are trying to bite the enemy's gonads to make him unable to reproduce. But it is very easy to spot a male, just try to lure the mice onto the cage bars with a treat, then you can see, if they have balls.

Crabby

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by omlette Fri 06 Aug 2021, 12:43 pm

Aah your a life safer thank you so much! Ill go ahead and get a third one then :] i checked and they are both females phew!

omlette

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Sun 08 Aug 2021, 5:12 pm

Even with a third you might still see some squabbling and fighting, especially as they establish hierarchy. Be sure to watch them carefully. Also you should quarantine your new mouse for several weeks to be safe, as she could bring the others some disease or parasites. Please search this site on quarantining and also mouse behavior, specifically female mouse groups. You need to educate yourself if you're going to raise 3 mice successfully.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by cerial Wed 11 Aug 2021, 2:18 am

Ok there needs to be a boss.

Short version here us as long as there is not blood from tail biting, excessive grooming where hair is removed, butt pulling where blood is drawn, or other things that draw blood they will be ok.

Now there will be grooming that may have chirps, light butt pulling, humping, food stealing,  and a little bit of tail rattling from time to time.

The best way I found to deal with a territorial mouse is to change the cage up when you clean it. While cleaning the cage put the two in a small enclosure with a small (new) box as the only thing in the cage. Were playing with instincts here. They will want to hide more then they will hate eachother and the both of them will eventually be in the box. 2 to 3 hours in the small enclosure and they will be sleeping together.

Now this wont fix them. The boss is still going to be the boss when she gets back in her cage. But she wont be as agressive.

Also you need a place for your submissive mouse to hide. Now mice when they fight will always to try to attack from the rear. They are going for the back of the neck usually just chasing off a threat. But, when a mouse is backed into a corner both will "stand up" before fighting.

Here are some females not letting a male sleep with them.
Female mice keep fighting- help! 20210710
Two of them are guarding the rest . He is not agressive he just tends to try to sleep on the bottom pushing them out.

Female mice keep fighting- help! 20210711

Now, if a mouse is in a tight enclos Laughing ure with one way in and they cant stand up they wont fight. The submissive mouse can lunge forward and this keeps the dominant mouse from hurting her.

I have several safe spots for submissive mice to hide or sleep without worry.

These are what I found works great(link below)
The sub can hide inside all safe and the dom can smell her and such before leaving her alone.

https://www.amazon.com/LIZZQ-Premium-Pellet-Smoker-Tube/dp/B06ZZRR7XD/ref=asc_df_B06ZZRR7XD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061703654&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9229764777098017944&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017219&hvtargid=pla-391277863350&psc=1

cerial

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down