Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse scratching constantly

2 posters

Go down

Mouse scratching constantly Empty Mouse scratching constantly

Post by BSNsolstice Wed 21 Nov 2018, 8:37 am

Hi, I have 2 mice living together, they are both around 8 months old. One of them, Millie, has been scratching incessantly for the past month or 2. I live away from home at college and cannot see them all the time, so the last time I saw her about a month ago she had just started scratching herself and there was a small red sore behind her ear. After coming home a month later the small sore has grown a lot and takes up a good part of her side.

She has been getting treated with Neosporin+pain reliever but just licks off the excess and keeps scratching. I see no signs of mites or fleas, and Millie's sister who lives with her is perfectly healthy. I am very confused as to what is causing her itchiness. Is scratching a sign of pain in mice? They are kept on Aspen bedding with hay mixed in, could she be having an allergic reaction to something? Thank you!

BSNsolstice

Back to top Go down

Mouse scratching constantly Empty Re: Mouse scratching constantly

Post by Meep3626 Wed 21 Nov 2018, 7:44 pm

It could be parasites of some sort. You might not be able to see teeny tiny parasites. Can you ask someone to take the mice to an exotic vet?

I wouldn't use Neosporin or similar product with the pain reliever. The pain reliever, typically pramoxine, is known to be harmful to animals.

Is the bedding from a new bag opened within the past 2 months? It could have been contaminated with parasites when you bought it. This happened to my last trio. I bought a bag of Carefresh and used it and one mouse started scratching non-stop. The vet had to treat the one mouse with a teeny tiny dose of Revolution several times. I threw out the entire bag of Carefresh and bought a new bag from a different store.

Meep3626

Back to top Go down

Post by BSNsolstice Wed 21 Nov 2018, 9:33 pm

Ok sounds good! So should I use kitten revolution on them? Maybe carefresh would be easier on their skin than Aspen shavings? Thank you!

BSNsolstice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down