Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse scratching hair thinning

3 posters

Go down

Mouse scratching hair thinning Empty Mouse scratching hair thinning

Post by seagal Fri 08 Nov 2019, 4:39 pm

I have 4 boy albino mice in separate aquariums. Only 1 has been scratching and his hair is thinning. The exotic pet vet is not close and our regular vet knows nothing about mice. I recall a previous mouse with the same problem that we rubbed down with a wet cotton ball and hydrogen peroxide. Can I do this? I'm worried, it's the weekend and like I said, the exotic vet is not close. If any other home remedies are known I'd love to hear about them. A very concerned mom. Thanks!

seagal

Back to top Go down

Mouse scratching hair thinning Empty Re: Mouse scratching hair thinning

Post by Robin~ Fri 08 Nov 2019, 4:52 pm

Let’s start by making sure it’s something that can be fixed without treatment— what bedding is he on? What does his diet look like? Is the air particularly dry?

Otherwise, it’s hard tell tell what’s needed without knowing the cause. Sure, dichotomous dirt can kill mites, but if it’s not mites you’re just applying an expensive dust onto your mouse for no reason.

How far are we talking? Drives of 2-3 hours are ok for the mouse themselves in most cases, especially when it comes to something as needed as vet care.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by seagal Fri 08 Nov 2019, 5:14 pm

He eats what everyone else does, Onbow young rat food. His bedding is dry and we use care fresh. It's not only the distance, but takes a while to get an appointment. I will call on monday (about 1 hr away), but what to do in the meantime. I just changed his cage. I guess I should change it again, but clean it with what. He has a corn cob but is the only one who doesn't eat it. Also gets I think they are called tasty treats, heart shape. He seemed to like only the red ones. I did give him a little rub down with a wet cotton ball and hydrogen peroxide then dried him. He's now in a box not in his cage and is warm. Any suggestions what to do in between and clean cage with. I appreciate your help. He's still scratching.

seagal

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 08 Nov 2019, 6:25 pm

This response is not coming from a doctor/veterinarian.  But I ruined the grading curve for all the pre-meds in my university biology classes, and I realized too late to start over that what I really "wanted to be when I grew up" was a burn ward nurse.  I still study up on skin and wound healing physiology (both human and pet) independently to feed my passion for that particular aspect of biology.  Acknowledging my limits, I ALWAYS defer to anybody with official training and experience!!

Have you inquired of the closer vet offices if any would be willing to check out mousie for itchy skin?  Examining the skin under magnification, then taking a scraping to test for parasites or yeast or dermatitis should be the same for a mouse as for a dog or cat, only on a smaller and more delicate scale.  Even prescribing a treatment should be easy enough to extrapolate from dog/cat practice.

With skin conditions, it is important to figure out what is driving the problem, because the treatments are different.  Sometimes home trial-and-error just can't solve the problem, and could possibly make it worse.  In the short term, however, I wouldn't peroxide the mouse.  Peroxide zaps infection by oxidizing (burning) germs, and it can simultaneously also burn the skin it contacts -- especially skin that is roughed up from scratching.  Instead, see if you can find "Vetericyn +plus", a spray antimicrobial gel, in the formulation for HOT SPOTS that is SAFE FOR ALL ANIMALS.  I see it in some pet supply stores and at farm supply stores, and it is of course available online.  There are some other products that contain the same active ingredient, hypochlorous acid, but I don't remember their names -- sorry.  If mousie is still scratching excessively, call the exotic vet office and ask for advice on how to calm the itch, keeping in mind that treating the itch is not the same as treating the cause of the itch.

Also try these steps:
1)  Set up a "hospital" tank, by doing a thorough cleaning, lining the clean tank with flat paper towel, no bedding, and providing a minimum of very well cleaned furnishings (a hide, water and food containers, a few cardboard tubes, some clean chews, a wheel or disk.)  Just a normal soap-and-water clean should be sufficient.
2)  Since the little guy is living alone and has lost hair, tear up pieces of paper towel for him to take into his hide to make a nest to keep warm.
3)  Remove common allergens from the food.  Corn is a common allergen.
4)  Boil the drinking water and cool it before putting it into the bottle or bowl.  That will get rid of things like chlorine and fluoride.
5)  Also make sure the room temperature is in the mouse comfort range, and that the air is not too dry .  If you are running a heater these days, that can dry out mousie skin just as it dries out ours.

Keep trying to find help for your little fellow, and keep notes and take pictures to document how he is now and how he may respond after his switch to the hospital tank setup.  Good notes can help a veterinarian to figure out the problem, and can make sure you don't leave out anything potentially important when you take mousie in.

I have very limited computer access on weekends, and none at night, so if I don't respond to further questions before Monday, it is not because I am ignoring you.

Keep us advised.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by seagal Fri 08 Nov 2019, 9:23 pm

Think you should have been a vet!! We took one of our old mice to the vet and he looked at it like "what, it's not a dog or cat" and that was the last time we took it there! I think tomorrow I'll try setting up a "hospital" tank and see how he does. I am running a heater in there since it's so cold, but may have it set too high. I need to lower it to about 70 I guess. Just strange that the other mice are fine, it's just him. For a while he's been sleeping outside too, like on top of of a big wooden chew or on top of a house while the others are in their houses. He never touches the corn and he' been doing fine on the food and treats till now. Maybe but it is the dryness bothering him. Hard to keep a room warm buy not dry! I appreciate all your suggestions and will definitely go that way. I do remember when my other mouse got mites, the other ones did too. Going to lower the temperature now and hospital tank tomorrow! Thanks tons!! Monday I'll make an appointment with the exotic vet! At least he hasn't scratched enough to bleed!

seagal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down