Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my mouse is dying... what should I do to make her comfy?

4 posters

Go down

my mouse is dying... what should I do to make her comfy? Empty my mouse is dying... what should I do to make her comfy?

Post by maren Sat 26 Jan 2019, 3:36 pm

A while ago my mouse, Mulberry, started having trouble using her leg. We took her to the vet and they prescribed anti-inflammatory meds for her, which didn't really help, but she was ok other than the leg. Yesterday I noticed she was having trouble with both legs, and this morning she was barely moving on the floor of her tank. It's been about 5 hours and she's still alive, but she's breathing really hard and has her eyes closed. She also is limp and isn't moving.  I put her in one of those little cardboard jewelry boxes lined with toilet paper to try and keep her warm... I also gave her some water out of a dropper. Earlier I put the little box on top of the radiator for a little bit when I noticed she seemed a little cold. (It wasn't a very hot radiator) She's not moving, and I'm sure she's going to die soon and there's nothing we can do about it, I've been crying all afternoon. Worry  Does anyone have any tips for making her as comfy as possible so she's not in any pain? (I separated her from the rest of my mice, which I'm afraid may be stressing her out as well) Crying or Very sad

maren

Cancer Zen

Back to top Go down

my mouse is dying... what should I do to make her comfy? Empty Re: my mouse is dying... what should I do to make her comfy?

Post by Peachy Sat 26 Jan 2019, 6:18 pm

So sorry you’re all going through this. I would let her stay in her home. I’ve seen some of my younger girls snuggle up with dying friends to help care for them. Mice are really good at taking care of each other. Or she might prefer to be on her own in her cage, but even that’s acceptable. Consider when you’re not feeling well, would you rather be comfortable in your home or be moved around to unfamiliar places.

It can take a while, but I sometimes opt to just wrap them in a scarf and wear them around the house until they go if they liked to spend a lot of time with me. This way we get to be near and keep them warm. My best to you both! Good vibes
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

my mouse is dying... what should I do to make her comfy? Empty Re: my mouse is dying... what should I do to make her comfy?

Post by Oreoandfriends Sat 26 Jan 2019, 6:50 pm

I’m so sorry!! The best thing you can do is to just give her lots of love and make her comfy. You can give her special treats (yogurt drops, sweet fruit, her favorite vegetable, etc). Also if she likes to be held you can cuddle her and make her nice and warm. Basically just remember what she loved to do when she was healthy and give her the option to do it. Again, I’m so sorry! I’m sure it’s really hard!❤️❤️
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 27 Jan 2019, 6:11 am

It's so hard to know what to do when your mouse is clearly dying Sad because the harsh truth is, there isn't much you can do and it makes you feel powerless when all you want to do is help.

I would leave them in their home. Some mice I've had have been inconsiderate to dying mice and i have removed the naughty mice and allowed the poorly mouse to die in peace. But I've actually seen some of my mice groom and comfort dying mice before and it was really heart breaking but beautiful to watch. I also tend to leave the dead body in the cage for a tiny little bit, just to give the others a chance to see what has happened to their friend. Maybe I'm anthropomorphizing them a bit, but I feel as social creatures they would have an understanding of death, and allowing them to see that their friend has passed may be an important part in the grieving process for them. But that's just my approach, others may see it differently.

Considering how poorly your mouse sounds it really won't be long for her now, and she may even be gone already as I'm writing this. Just focus on the good times that your mouse had. So many mice are unloved, fed to snakes, neglected. Your mouse won the mouse lottery being with you, even if her life was only short. She won't be suffering any more, and that's a good thing, so just focus on the good days that your mouse had and be thankful that you had a chance to give her a good life and love her. Most people here have lost a mouse or many mice before, we understand how much it hurts and we're here for you.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down