Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

not making much progress :/

3 posters

Go down

not making much progress :/ Empty not making much progress :/

Post by LittlePixie2.o Sun 03 Feb 2019, 1:01 pm

I've had my two boys for two weeks now, Riff is doing well and climbs into my hand when its in there and likes to be cuddled and taking for rides in my hoodie so things are slowly getting there. However, Toby on the other hand still seems to be scared of me, I managed to get him out of his cage yesterday which took me an hour because he kept jumping out he climbed on me and hid on my shoulder for a good 20 minutes. Since then he barely takes a treat from me and does anything he can to avoid my presence. I've been sitting next to his cage 3 times today all about half hour long even though he is in the living room which we use quite a lot. It's hard to try and bond with him when it feels impossible. Am I doing something wrong or is this just him? Don't get me wrong he sat on my hand all four paws for about a minute and then became skittish again, I'm not sure what else I can offer other than my patience.

Methods I have tried:
Bath tub method
Hand in cage
Sitting next to him and talking
treats (sunflower seeds and the occasional peanut butter on the finger) etc.

Any advice is welcome. Smile I also apologise about my face

not making much progress :/ 51737910
Riff

not making much progress :/ 51373610
Toby
LittlePixie2.o
LittlePixie2.o

Back to top Go down

not making much progress :/ Empty Re: not making much progress :/

Post by Peachy Sun 03 Feb 2019, 1:35 pm

My favorite way to tame is to just sit on a chair or bed and let the mouse play around. I used to have a sheet that had a small hole in it that I’d cover up with while the mice had a blast climbing all over and popping in and out of the hole. Offer yummy treats like lettuce or mealworms during and after playtime, and spend 10-30 minutes at least twice a day, at similar times if possible.

It can definitely take weeks-months to get to a point where the mouse is really comfortable with you, but there have been few in my nearly 10 years of mouse-keeping who didn’t eventually come around in some way. Black mice are some of my favorite, and I love the little peaky face, so cute!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by LittlePixie2.o Sun 03 Feb 2019, 1:41 pm

Peachy wrote:My favorite way to tame is to just sit on a chair or bed and let the mouse play around. I used to have a sheet that had a small hole in it that I’d cover up with while the mice had a blast climbing all over and popping in and out of the hole. Offer yummy treats like lettuce or mealworms during and after playtime, and spend 10-30 minutes at least twice a day, at similar times if possible.

It can definitely take weeks-months to get to a point where the mouse is really comfortable with you, but there have been few in my nearly 10 years of mouse-keeping who didn’t eventually come around in some way. Black mice are some of my favorite, and I love the little peaky face, so cute!

I spend 20 mins with riff twice a day but toby as I said above is impossible, he wont even do his mousey business around me unless im on the opposite side of the room and it feels like he stares at me for a good 5 minutes. I feel like losing all hope, ive tried lettuce but not mealworms just yet. He likes cucumber but I know too much is bad. I don't feel like im getting anywhere Sad

LittlePixie2.o
LittlePixie2.o

Back to top Go down

Post by LittlePixie2.o Sun 03 Feb 2019, 3:08 pm

Peachy wrote:My favorite way to tame is to just sit on a chair or bed and let the mouse play around. I used to have a sheet that had a small hole in it that I’d cover up with while the mice had a blast climbing all over and popping in and out of the hole. Offer yummy treats like lettuce or mealworms during and after playtime, and spend 10-30 minutes at least twice a day, at similar times if possible.

Also thank you, I'm going to go back to square one with toby and just start fresh and slowly work my way up to him, the toughest thing is cleaning his cage since he likes to jump

LittlePixie2.o
LittlePixie2.o

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 03 Feb 2019, 6:21 pm

Sometimes they get comfortable with you out of the cage and then in the cage follows. If you can shoo him into a box and then use it to securely transfer him to the tub, you can play a scoop and release game safely. Scoop him up and “fly” him to another part of the tub. Keep your hands low in case he jumps out. You can use your hands to block him from going past your elbow. With this method he can’t hide and ignore you at home, and it also gets him used to your hands.

Edit: Many mice love Cheerios, too! And oatmeal. Years ago I had a scared mouse that came out of her cage to grab a Fruit Loop from my hand. It was magic! lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by LittlePixie2.o Mon 04 Feb 2019, 2:53 am

Peachy wrote:Sometimes they get comfortable with you out of the cage and then in the cage follows. If you can shoo him into a box and then use it to securely transfer him to the tub, you can play a scoop and release game safely. Scoop him up and “fly” him to another part of the tub. Keep your hands low in case he jumps out. You can use your hands to block him from going past your elbow. With this method he can’t hide and ignore you at home, and it also gets him used to your hands.

Edit: Many mice love Cheerios, too! And oatmeal. Years ago I had a scared mouse that came out of her cage to grab a Fruit Loop from my hand. It was magic! lol

Ive been trying to shoo him into a cup or one of his hidey homes i can easily get out last time i used a box he shot out before i could cover it, but was fine out of the cage like you said. Its getting him out thsts the problem haha. Ill keep trying though thank you. Smile ill also purchase some cheerios tomorrow and see if that goes down

LittlePixie2.o
LittlePixie2.o

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Mon 04 Feb 2019, 3:25 pm

Some mice are easier to tame than others, but it doesn't mean he can't be won over eventually Smile I had a mouse that hated me once... she would squeak loudly if I touched her at all, and would try to bite me if I put my hand in the cage. It took about 3 months, but she ended up being a great little buddy in the end Smile

It probably just needs more time. But it also doesn't hurt if you find a treat that he's particularly crazy for Wink mine always seem to love dried mealworms and cheerios or rice crispies!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by LittlePixie2.o Wed 06 Feb 2019, 2:34 pm

Thank you both Peachy and Mouselover. I would also like to apologise on the delay of my response due to work and also working on Toby more so than Riff. I brought some cheerios and to my surprise it worked! He came right over and ate it from my hand, 5 minutes later he crawled onto my hand and ran up my sleeve, it was... so magical.not making much progress :/ Toby10

LittlePixie2.o
LittlePixie2.o

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 06 Feb 2019, 6:09 pm

Go Toby! My Yoshi loved to play in my sleeves and pop out at the neck to tickle my ears. He turned into the bestest boy that ever existed. girl_sigh
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by LittlePixie2.o Wed 06 Feb 2019, 6:29 pm

Peachy wrote:Go Toby! My Yoshi loved to play in my sleeves and pop out at the neck to tickle my ears. He turned into the bestest boy that ever existed. girl_sigh

Thank you, also that is very cute. Riff is very cute and has now realised we mean no danger and wants to ALWAYS come out for playtime. I know Toby will get there in his own time

LittlePixie2.o
LittlePixie2.o

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 07 Feb 2019, 6:10 am

Very sweet and I'm glad you're making some progress Smile Cheerios are such a favourite haha. The bonding process can be frustrating, but you can start making tiny gains, and eventually end up with a very tame mouse. In some ways it can be more rewarding if they're more difficult to tame, and then they end up being your best buddy. It feels like a real achievement lol.

That's great that Riff always wants to come out now too Love I've had mice that would sit by the cage door and wait for me when they see/sense me walk into the room. So so cute.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down