Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Mouse Tips?

2 posters

Go down

New Mouse Tips? Empty New Mouse Tips?

Post by kowalskibab Wed 13 Feb 2019, 4:36 pm

hi, today i got my very first mouse from a breeder. hes a five week old, seems pretty tame and he can be picked up (he got startled when I checked on him though, proabbly because its a new environment?) . how long should i let him settle in? also, i went out and got the largest wheel I could get for him, but i think hes too small for it since when he ran he didnt get far. any advice?

kowalskibab

Back to top Go down

New Mouse Tips? Empty Re: New Mouse Tips?

Post by MouseLover Thu 14 Feb 2019, 5:17 am

Hello and welcome to the forum Smile What size is the wheel? You may find he grows into it as he's only 5 weeks old. Or it may just be too big. Most of my mice have been best suited to a 6.5inch wheel, though some of the bigger mice I've had got on well with an 8 inch.

Being in a new environment is a stressful time for a mouse, so you're right that's probably why he was startled. As tempting as it is to try and handle your new pet asap, it's advisable to give them at least 48 hours to get used to their new environment before you try and interact with them. This means that when you do try to interact with him in a few days, he'll likely have calmed down a bit and be more receptive to getting to know you. The good news is that as he's from a breeder, he'll probably have been handled more than a pet shop mouse, so he should be easier to handle and tame when you get around to it. But for now I would leave him be, other than obviously making sure he has food and water, and loving him from afar haha.

Good luck with your new mouse, I hope you have fun with him and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by kowalskibab Thu 14 Feb 2019, 7:50 am

MouseLover wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum Smile What size is the wheel? You may find he grows into it as he's only 5 weeks old. Or it may just be too big. Most of my mice have been best suited to a 6.5inch wheel, though some of the bigger mice I've had got on well with an 8 inch.

Being in a new environment is a stressful time for a mouse, so you're right that's probably why he was startled. As tempting as it is to try and handle your new pet asap, it's advisable to give them at least 48 hours to get used to their new environment before you try and interact with them. This means that when you do try to interact with him in a few days, he'll likely have calmed down a bit and be more receptive to getting to know you. The good news is that as he's from a breeder,  he'll probably have been handled more than a pet shop mouse, so he should be easier to handle and tame when you get around to it. But for now I would leave him be, other than obviously making sure he has food and water, and loving him from afar haha.

Good luck with your new mouse, I hope you have fun with him and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions Smile
thank you! the wheel is about 6.75 inches, and other than refilling his bowl ive been leaving him alone to settle in. that should be alright, right?

kowalskibab

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:22 am

kowalskibab wrote:thank you! the wheel is about 6.75 inches, and other than refilling his bowl ive been leaving him alone to settle in. that should be alright, right?

Sounds great Smile He'll probably grow into/get the hang of that wheel soon enough.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by kowalskibab Thu 14 Feb 2019, 5:15 pm

MouseLover wrote:
kowalskibab wrote:thank you! the wheel is about 6.75 inches, and other than refilling his bowl ive been leaving him alone to settle in. that should be alright, right?

Sounds great Smile He'll probably grow into/get the hang of that wheel soon enough.
okay, and its fine if I put food and water in his cage while hes settling? hes eating like a champ Smile

kowalskibab

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down