Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips for an injured mouse?

3 posters

Go down

Tips for an injured mouse? Empty Tips for an injured mouse?

Post by whiskibusiness Sat 25 Jul 2020, 12:52 am

So a little backstory. I apologize for the length of this. Skip to the last paragraph for just the question.

I've been researching and prepping to one day get either a male mouse or a group of females. Still, I had no plans to get one this week or even this month, despite being set-up for it.

Well, while on a day trip out of my city I went into Petco to bring back a few toys for my conure. There was a lone male mouse (albino). He was in awful shape. Had a laceration on his nose and under his neck. His breathing was very labored so I assumed URI.

I asked the employee about him, who mentioned he would "probably be sold as snake food". After telling her I wanted to adopt she mentioned that Petco offers vet care for the first 30 days (pending approval, etc). I didn't want to waste time waiting for that so I paid $5 for the mouse and immediately made an appointment with my local vet.

My vet gave him the expected URI diagnosis. So $85 later he has been prescribed antibiotics and a topical cream for the injuries. I've temporarily removed the wheel from his cage so that he doesn't over-exert himself while healing.

He's such a sweet, loving boy (named Basil). My question is, does anyone have any tips for the lacerations? He rubs those areas when he bathes himself and I was hoping there would a way to minimize the irritation while they heal. Or do I just need to be patient? lol Thanks in advance! Smile

whiskibusiness

Back to top Go down

Tips for an injured mouse? Empty Re: Tips for an injured mouse?

Post by chiroptera Sat 25 Jul 2020, 10:00 pm

@whiskibusiness Antibiotic cream (such as Neosporin and polysporin) can go a long way, but it's important that they do NOT include pain relief, as the pain relief is not safe for mice.

Jk, I just read that you got a cream from the vet, though it might be worth having this info for the future?

I think he'll be okay, if he seems to be scratching incessantly I would contact your vet but otherwise, just keep giving him the meds and the cream from the vet and I think he should do fine! Smile

Did the vet suggest removing the wheel? If so, definitely follow through, but if not I think I would personally leave it in for him. I don't think he'd run himself so ragged that he'd hurt himself, though of course you know your specific mouse better than me.

Good luck with your new little guy! Smile

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

whiskibusiness likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by whiskibusiness Sat 25 Jul 2020, 10:19 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! I definitely appreciate the info about the cream. Even though I'm using the vet prescribed one currently, who knows what could happen down the road. I'm happy for any knowledge you can share! Smile

He did suggest removing the wheel for now, but he said just until his breathing improved some. Today is Day 3. He told me that if I see no improvements by Day 7 to bring him back for another evaluation. But that if he does show improvement that I'm okay to return the wheel. Crossing my fingers Day 7 brings good news. His breathing doesn't seem much better today, but I did notice he was much more active. Lots of digging, climbing, and exploring. He's been eating more too.

I feel terrible for the little guy. I've given him a ton of toys and different things for climbing. I know that doesn't make up for the lack of a wheel but I'm hoping it helps him curb his boredom until it's back... Crying or Very sad

whiskibusiness

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Mon 27 Jul 2020, 10:59 am

I see no harm in letting Basil have his wheel.  If he enjoys running and then is deprived of the opportunity, he may expend his pent-up energy by scratching at his wounds.  Good physical health includes exercise, and good physical health contributes to proper healing.

Another product you might check with your vet about is Vetericyn+plus, hot spot antimicrobial gel  - the forumulation that is safe for all animals.  Not all stores carry the safe-for-all-animals formulation, but several do.  And, of course, it's online.

And keep those little claw-nails trimmed!  When I first got my little mousie, many years ago, I used to let her run around in the evenings on the sidewalk to buff those nails.  She was not a flight risk, but if you worry about Basil running off you can rig up an escape-proof bottomless containment area that you can set down on a concrete surface, and then watch him as you let him have playtime there.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down