Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silent Spinners?

+5
olimarthemouse
CinnamonPearl
MouseLover
Peachy
lupus_corde
9 posters

Go down

Silent Spinners? Empty Silent Spinners?

Post by lupus_corde Sun 26 Jun 2016, 2:52 pm

Hey guys so I was just wondering if the silent spinner is actually silent? I know that no wheel is 100% noise free however I have heard that the silent spinner makes more of a woosh-ing noise rather than a rattle like most standard wheels. The thing is the cage will be in my bedroom. Personally I'm quite a deep sleeper, so I know It would not bother me. However My brother Is a very light sleeper and sensitive to noise, will it be worth investing in this product or will it be a waste?  Confused  
(he is in the room next to mine and the cage will be very close to where he sleeps)
I'm thinking of purchasing the 6.5" one. Smile

My mice: Luna, Eclipse and Galaxy
lupus_corde
lupus_corde
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Silent Spinners? Empty Re: Silent Spinners?

Post by Peachy Sun 26 Jun 2016, 3:57 pm

I actually don't hear my mesh wheels unless they need oiled, but I might just be used to it. Same with the flying saucer, and squeaky comfort wheels are pretty easy to fix.

Anyway, that was off topic. Razz It's been a while since I used a Silent Spinner, but I do remember it being very quiet. If your brother is in a different room I doubt he would notice. My mom liked to take wheels out while she was napping in the living room and I was at work, but the spinner was usually left alone. lol Maybe you could test it in the store to make sure it doesn't have any noisy faults.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by lupus_corde Sun 26 Jun 2016, 4:06 pm

Thanks for the info, will keep that in mind Smile

My mice: Luna, Eclipse and Galaxy
lupus_corde
lupus_corde
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 26 Jun 2016, 4:45 pm

I have a silent spinner right now and it is definitely the quietest wheel I've come across. All you can hear is a very quiet woosh and tiny little feet pattering - sometimes I mistake the noise for light rain haha. I have mine attached to cage bars - most wheels rattle against the bars but this doesn't. I also have one on the stand in my hamster's cage and it is also silent - but I put tissues underneath the stand to prevent it rattling on the cage base (to be fair, I didn't try it without the tissues, so it may not need it!). But when you clean it, people say you have to take the yellow bit off as it has metal inside and can rust when submerged in water. I haven't had to do this, mine don't pee/poop on their wheel, so I don't submerge it in water, just give it a quick wipe.

The other quiet option is a flying saucer wheel, which is also very quiet, but I find the silent spinner quieter.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 26 Jun 2016, 4:55 pm

Saucer wheels are the quietest I've encountered, but silent spinners are very quiet. However, if the silent spinner is touching a wall, the glass floor of the tank, or anything else, it can bang quite loudly. So long as it's not in contact with anything, it's nice and quiet.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:22 pm

Oh, I love the silent spinners! My Mom's hamster has one, and my gerbil has one (I took hers away and gave her her old mesh wheell back, because she was chewing the silent spinner up). I love the whooshing sound they make! Very calming! Flying saucers are also great! I just got one for my mouse, and it's completely silent!
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 26 Jun 2016, 8:56 pm

I used one - albeit, I had to take it out as it was too small - and it was pretty quiet compared to some other wheels, however the older ones do tend to rattle.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:50 pm

My silent spinner is very quiet. So are the flying saucers. My mesh wheel squeaks if I don't keep it oiled.

CinnamonPearl wrote:However, if the silent spinner is touching a wall, the glass floor of the tank, or anything else, it can bang quite loudly.

I find this to be true with all wheels.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Sun 26 Jun 2016, 10:02 pm

I would say they are the second quietest with the saucer in first. The silent spinner is much smaller (in terms of the amount of floor space taken up) compared to the flying saucer which I feel takes up so much space in the cage!
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 26 Jun 2016, 10:17 pm

Gabbi brings up a good point! Silent spinners are great in 10gal tanks where a saucer takes up a huge chunk of the floor space. I only ever got my girls a saucer when I upped them to a 20gal long.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 27 Jun 2016, 12:15 am

That's why we build the platforms. Then the flying saucer doesn't take up any floor space since the mice can run around underneath it.

The silent spinner still makes a bit of noise but it's a smooth noise. My two robo hamsters have silent spinners. I can always hear them but it's not a bad sound. The drawback is that only one mouse can run at a time.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down