Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silent spinner Why U Do Dis???

+6
MouseLover
CinnamonPearl
River
CallaLily
scaredymouse
GabbiLuvsMice
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Silent spinner Why U Do Dis??? Empty Silent spinner Why U Do Dis???

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Tue 28 Jun 2016, 12:50 am

It is currently 12:50 am and the wheel is rattling like crazy. Its not touching any part of the cage and literally just bought it. :I Any tips on how to silence it down? Its not squeaking but more just rattling quite loudly.
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Silent spinner Why U Do Dis??? Empty Re: Silent spinner Why U Do Dis???

Post by scaredymouse Tue 28 Jun 2016, 12:56 am

is the metal rattling on the bottom on the tank? if so, lay down paper towels.

is the actual wheel sort of wobbly? you might need to tighten the yellow know in the center. or unscrew the know and put some oil at the base of the screw and then screw the yellow knob back on.

that usually solves all my problems. I've never had a truly silent spinner.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Tue 28 Jun 2016, 12:57 am

Thanks for the advice, my girls like to push all of the bedding to one side at night, so that may the problem.
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 28 Jun 2016, 10:41 am

scaredymouse wrote:is the metal rattling on the bottom on the tank?  if so, lay down paper towels.

This. The only time mine makes a lot of noise is when it's rattling against something. If not the sides of the tank or a toy, then against the floor of the tank. I always make sure to put some bedding under it to cushion it. If placed right, it's pretty quiet. Just a soft whooshing like noise.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:58 am

I ended up taking it out at about 4 am, too loud I couldn't sleep, I woke up around 9 and put it right back in.
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 28 Jun 2016, 2:29 pm

Yep, those silent spinners aren't as silent as they claim to be! That's why I prefer the mesh wheel's gentle squeaks which go away with a little oil. And the flying saucer, when placed on a nice platform is pretty quiet, too.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 28 Jun 2016, 3:57 pm

I'm not a huge fan of silent spinners for this reason. They can be among the noisiest wheels! Mesh wheels and saucers, like scaredy suggested, are among the best. I find mice love to hold on and just loop upside down on mesh wheels, but saucers are a more natural position to run in.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 28 Jun 2016, 5:17 pm

I guess I'm lucky in that mine has always been pretty quiet as long as I place it carefully. The mesh wheel makes the same racket if I'm not careful placing it too and the flying saucer if I don't put it on a platform where they can't move it. All wheels will make noise if they're able to bump or rattle against something.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 28 Jun 2016, 5:39 pm

My silent spinner has always been very quiet too. I have a mesh wheel that I used to use for quarantine mice, but now I just use it for tabletop fun. It makes this awful whistling that I haven't been able to remedy. So I like my silent spinner better.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 28 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm

Yeah my silent spinners are super quiet... I was worried that Archie wasn't running on his wheel at all, till I saw him running on it and realised that he just made no noise on it!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 28 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm

I have a silent spinner for my gerbils and for my mouse. The one in the gerbils cage would do that. I believe it was just sitting uneven at the base. So I attached the base of it to one of those pieces of marble, ya know the ones for chinchillas. I think its called Chin-chiller. I attached the base of it to that with aquarium sealer and now it has a sturdy base that doesn't move around. So it doesn't make noise again. You will just have to keep the wheel out of the cage for, I believe 24 hours so the sealant is totally dry. It will say the drying time on the tube. I got it at PETsMART. Hope that helps. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 28 Jun 2016, 9:18 pm

scaredymouse wrote:is the metal rattling on the bottom on the tank?  if so, lay down paper towels.

is the actual wheel sort of wobbly?  you might need to tighten the yellow know in the center.  or unscrew the know and put some oil at the base of the screw and then screw the yellow knob back on.

that usually solves all my problems.  I've never had a truly silent spinner.

Paper towels is a good idea to, I used to do that and it would work for awhile till my gerbils found the paper towels, which I did try to cover up with bedding, and once they got the paper towels from under the base, the noise would start again. Mine was the metal base against the glass bottom of the tank. The actual wheel part was silent. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Tue 28 Jun 2016, 10:51 pm

Several layers of newspaper lining the floor should help. They won't be as tempting to chew as the paper towels.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Anna's Animals Wed 29 Jun 2016, 12:09 am

Rodents rock! wrote:I have a silent spinner for my gerbils and for my mouse. The one in the gerbils cage would do that. I believe it was just sitting uneven at the base. So I attached the base of it to one of those pieces of marble, ya know the ones for chinchillas. I think its called Chin-chiller. I attached the base of it to that with aquarium sealer and now it has a sturdy base that doesn't move around. So it doesn't make noise again. You will just have to keep the wheel out of the cage for, I believe 24 hours so the sealant is totally dry. It will say the drying time on the tube. I got it at PETsMART. Hope that helps. Smile

Similar to this, back when I used comfort wheels or silent spinners instead of flying saucers I would sometimes hot glue the metal base to a square of pine wood. After a few years of owning mice I've pretty much gotten used to the noise and don't notice it as much anymore, but in the beginning it would always drive me crazy unless I did that!
Anna's Animals
Anna's Animals

https://www.youtube.com/AnnasAnimalsPetCare

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Wed 29 Jun 2016, 7:31 pm

Hi Anna! So nice to have you here! Your videos are very helpful!
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next