Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to clean wooden parts of detolf and should I put modge podge over it?

2 posters

Go down

How to clean wooden parts of detolf and should I put modge podge over it? Empty How to clean wooden parts of detolf and should I put modge podge over it?

Post by FuzzyMouse Thu 14 Mar 2019, 4:37 pm

So I was wondering how I would clean the wooden parts of the detolf at both ends? I had a hamster in my detolf and might plan on getting mice and was wondering how to properly clean the wood. My hamster never really peed on it but since it’s wood I would want to make sure it’s fully sanitized.
Also because I know mice like to pee I was wondering if I could cover the inside parts of the wood with modge podge to keep it waterproof and easier to clean in the future? Would this ruin the wood or cause any problems? I’ve been looking at other topics about it and it seems fine for all small animals, it’s non toxic. And if it’s safe I could put it on before I even get mice so it would have weeks to dry. But if a mouse did start chewing the wood what would be best to do? Sorry for all the questions Razz
FuzzyMouse
FuzzyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sleepy

https://merp.com

Back to top Go down

How to clean wooden parts of detolf and should I put modge podge over it? Empty Re: How to clean wooden parts of detolf and should I put modge podge over it?

Post by CallaLily Tue 26 Mar 2019, 2:21 pm

I’ve used several layers of modge podge on a wooden platform before and it really didn’t help much at all with keeping urine from soaking in. But since it’s just the two sides of the detolf, I don’t think it’d be as big a mess for you. Isn’t the wood sealed already though?  I’ve never seen a detolf irl but it looks like it in pictures.  If it is, I would just wash it down really well using diluted vinegar or Dawn dish soap (rinse well).  With it being smooth sides and pretty thick looking, I also don’t think chewing should be much of a problem for you. But you could have sheets of glass or plexiglass cut to fit in very snugly against the sides or permanently glue in if necessary. Would solve the issue of urine soaking in too.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down