Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edible Parts of a Pumpkin?

4 posters

Go down

Edible Parts of a Pumpkin? Empty Edible Parts of a Pumpkin?

Post by Winter Moose Sat 30 Sep 2017, 5:28 pm

What parts of a pumpkin are safe for mice(and hamsters)? I know the seeds are safe, but what about the inside of the rind? I figure the 'guts' ,(goopy stuff inside) are probably not safe, as they're stringy. Also, can I hollow out the pumpkin, wash it, and let my mouse play in it?

Winter Moose
Winter Moose

Festive

Back to top Go down

Edible Parts of a Pumpkin? Empty Re: Edible Parts of a Pumpkin?

Post by Peachy Sun 01 Oct 2017, 5:54 am

Pumpkin is safe. I'd go for smaller pumpkins rather than the large ones you carve. You can rinse the flesh and feed a little bit raw, my mice weren't too impressed.

You can also cut it into pieces and then boil or bake them until you can poke it with a fork. Peel off the outer skin. Cut into tiny mouse-sized cubes or mash it up/puree it. I used it to make tiny pumpkin pies. You could also try pumpkin pancakes. Pumpkin happy
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Moose Sun 01 Oct 2017, 8:03 am

Peachy wrote:Pumpkin is safe. I'd go for smaller pumpkins rather than the large ones you carve. You can rinse the flesh and feed a little bit raw, my mice weren't too impressed.

You can also cut it into pieces and then boil or bake them until you can poke it with a fork. Peel off the outer skin. Cut into tiny mouse-sized cubes or mash it up/puree it. I used it to make tiny pumpkin pies. You could also try pumpkin pancakes. Pumpkin happy

Yes, I have a smaller pumpkin. That sounds yummy! I will definitely see if my little guy likes it.

Winter Moose
Winter Moose

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 01 Oct 2017, 10:06 am

None of it's toxic but you may have a point about the "guts" maybe being too stringy for them. I usually put those aside for my hermit crabs.

I usually pick up the little pie pumpkins. Cut it in half, scoop out the guts and seeds (set them aside), wrap each half in aluminum foil and bake in the oven for about an hour at 350F.  Then you can easily scoop out the cooked "meat" and cut into chunks or mash.  I toast the seeds in the oven on a low temp.

Here's my little mouse pumpkin pie recipe. Also hamster and hermit crab safe.

Crust:
Grind up dried mealworms, flaxseed, and walnuts. Mix in a tiny but of coconut oil and press into lined muffin tin.

Filling:
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 oz coconut milk (not water)
1 TBSP molasses (optional)
1 small egg

Whip together pumpkin, coconut milk, and molasses. Add gently beaten egg, mix until just combined. Pour over prepared pie crust. Bake at 375F for about 20 minutes.

If I'm remembering correctly, this made me 3 small muffin sized pumpkin pies.  You could probably use a mini muffin tin with less cook time. You can freeze extras to keep fresh longer.
Edible Parts of a Pumpkin? Tempor20

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ Sun 29 Oct 2017, 2:14 am

I went to a pumpkin place and bought a couple 1 dollar pumpkins to put in their cage. I turned some into food bowls or small hidey houses then threw them out after like 2 days. I gave them the inside flesh of a pie pumpkin (different from mini pumpkins) not the stringy part nor did I give them seeds. Never forget to wash them though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down