Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sneezing. Again.

4 posters

Go down

Sneezing. Again. Empty Sneezing. Again.

Post by River Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:38 am

The two weeks is up today, and well, she'd stopped sneezing for a whole two days - I only ever heard one or two, and that was when she was digging around and particularly dusty corner of seed-shells and leftover food crumbs.
Then yesterday, before I cleaned the tank, I noticed her sneezing a few times. Of course. The wooden house she likes to sleep in had become absolutely putrid, so I cleaned it up as best as possible and let it air our for an hour or two. That helped. She's still sneezing a bit now, though - not as often at all, though.
Does she have that sensitive of a nose? Regardless, I'm leaving in an hour or two, so all I can do is be sure my grandmother keeps an eye on it.
I'm considering getting a second opinion from another vet. Bleh.

EDIT: for all it's worth, I also noticed some white dust on the wall of the tank while cleaning it. Is shredded paper really that dusty?

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Sneezing. Again. Empty Re: Sneezing. Again.

Post by MouseLover Sat 02 Jul 2016, 7:50 am

Oh the dreaded sneezes. Why must mice have such delicate respiratory systems?

If she is only occasionally sneezing and has no other symptoms, it doesn't sound urgent, so try not to worry about it when you're away. When you come back, I think that a second vet's opinion isn't a bad idea. I'm a worrier, so if it was me I'd want to be sure that she doesn't have a respiratory infection.

I know how stressful these darn sneezes can be. Try not to stress about it - you're doing everything right by trying to get to the bottom of this, and it sounds as if she is a happy little mouse otherwise, and that's the main thing Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 02 Jul 2016, 2:22 pm

"Occasionally" was every 3-4 minutes when I left. Hmph. I'm pretty sure it's nothing urgent, as mice tend to go down hill very fast and its been so long, but hey, you never know. I'll get a second opinion when I get back, though!

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Mon 04 Jul 2016, 8:18 am

I also noticed some white dust on the wall of the tank while cleaning it. Is shredded paper really that dusty?

If you are talking about toilet paper, Yes. Yes it is.

I've been through this twice now, if you don't check your toilet paper by shaking it out, dust can pile up very quickly if it is from a dusty batch. Some mice can handle it better than others and it can sneak up on you. You may think because you use a certain brand all the time, that it's never dusty but some batches just are. If you do get a dreaded dusty batch, it can be hard to tell unless you really shake it out.

My mouse Thuttty was just sneezing the other day. I got worried as i THOUGHT her toilet paper was not dusty. I immediately checked the new roll and yup, dust everywhere, when i shook it it was like it was snowing!

So i just made sure to shake it out really good before i use it and she's fine now. If she sneezes again, i will have to just buy a different batch. Her two former cagemates, no sneezing at all even though they've all been using the same TP.

What bedding are you using? What types of materials are in the tank?

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 04 Jul 2016, 9:36 am

You might try the corn cob litter, it's virtually dust free. And then I put a handful of the white Carefresh for my Mickey to use in his little house for bedding.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Mon 04 Jul 2016, 12:35 pm

I think i heard some people had trouble with their mice eating corncob litter. I believe i remember reading that it was a problem, though i am not sure i am remembering correctly.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 04 Jul 2016, 8:14 pm

Ingesting too much of any litter is bad - even things like Carefresh or Kaytee can cause blockages if too much was to be eaten.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 04 Jul 2016, 8:14 pm

peas wrote:
I think i heard some people had trouble with their mice eating corncob litter.   I believe i remember reading that it was a problem, though i am not sure i am remembering correctly.

I've not had any trouble with it.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down