Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sneezing sometimes???

3 posters

Go down

Sneezing sometimes??? Empty Sneezing sometimes???

Post by pipit Thu 26 Aug 2021, 12:51 am

I got a beautiful mouse off of craigslist about a week ago (she's been in quarantine all this time) and the first thing I noticed was the sneezing (despite the former owner telling me that she's never shown any signs of sickness). I originally thought it was an issue with the aspen bedding I was using, so I switched to paper after the first day. Something that I have noticed over the past week, however, is that she only sneezes when I put my hand in her cage. She doesn't appear to be stressed and is in fact the friendliest and most adventurous mouse that I've ever owned and often loves to climb on me. I've noticed a tiny bit of chittering sometimes as well. I've been concerned over the past week because I've had mice with respiratory issues, and I hope she isn't sick.

Other strange behavior worth mentioning:

- She never takes treats from my hand but is extremely comfortable climbing on me
- She never runs on her wheel
- She's extremely clumsy
- She's not great at making nests

Her previous owner kept her alone for god knows how long (she's around 1 year now) because they said she "didn't get along with other mice" she also lived in a very small cage with an exercise wheel (not saucer). The previous owner also said that they cleaned her cage weekly.

the exotics vet near me is super expensive (200 bucks for the first visit, not including fecal test/ medicine) and I really really don't want to spend that kind of money. Obviously, if she needs it, it's worth it though and we might be able to find another vet. Something I do want to note is that she's been sneezing less as the week continues.

pipit

Back to top Go down

Sneezing sometimes??? Empty Re: Sneezing sometimes???

Post by Poot Tue 31 Aug 2021, 6:32 am

I have a theory, does your micey have pink eyes? My white mouse with pink eyes also does this sniffy sneezey behavior, and has also been doing it less since I got her. Now she only sniffy sneezes when I try to interact with her Undecided
Poot
Poot

Pisces Elated

Back to top Go down

Post by pipit Tue 31 Aug 2021, 8:16 am

Poot wrote:I have a theory, does your micey have pink eyes? My white mouse with pink eyes also does this sniffy sneezey behavior, and has also been doing it less since I got her. Now she only sniffy sneezes when I try to interact with her Undecided
No she does not have red eyes.... that's probably the strangest part to me. she doesn't have any symptoms of sickness other than sneezing.

pipit

Back to top Go down

Post by Poot Tue 31 Aug 2021, 8:43 am

Now I'm more confused, cause Sugar (my mouse with the same problem) also has little to no interest in the wheel, is fine waddling around on my hand but isn't food motivated, I've changed her bedding brands to see if it was some dust I was missing (hasn't changed a thing), I changed her food and that hasn't affected her sniffles, but she isn't leaking fluids or anything scary so I'm just, super confused and will try to get a vet's opinion if no solutions arise soon.
Poot
Poot

Pisces Elated

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Fri 10 Sep 2021, 4:37 am

Every mouse is different in behaviors. @pipit It sounds like your mouse is just happy and excited to see you and is making these sounds in excitement. If she was neglected by her previous owners and never learned the wheel she may have no interest, same as receiving hand held treats, she's just not used to it. Just keep up with the dust free bedding, keep a close eye on their respiration, food and water intake and energy level, and indeed, if worried, @Poot , it can't hurt to get them vet checked.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down