Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bitey mouse

3 posters

Go down

bitey mouse Empty bitey mouse

Post by Misha_usa Tue 16 Jul 2019, 3:40 pm

Hello!

I'm having kind of a rough time taming my newcome mouse Mochi.
He's a ~2 month old male with a liking for biting.

To get him to grow accustomed to me, I'm laying my hand on the cage's floor for him to roam around and over, but instead he comes head on to nib at my fingers and even properly bite if I let him.
I'm not trying to lift him forcefully not am I chasing him so I don't think it's a matter of "being scared". Actually he even chases the hand from time to time to try and get a bite :/

Also tried to tame him with food. He's quite reluctant of taking it directly from me but with patience he usually complies at least to taste the treat before running away (or tastig me instead lol)

Is there something I coud do to prevent or correct this behaviour?
He's been home for few days only, but I'm worried because it looks like he's growing more antisocial as time goes by instead of the opposite.
Misha_usa
Misha_usa
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Sluggish

Back to top Go down

bitey mouse Empty Re: bitey mouse

Post by PeachesandPepper92918 Fri 19 Jul 2019, 4:41 pm

Male mice are naturally territorial, so he may just be defending his space. A lot of people suggest taming your mouse in a separate bin or tub. It’s taking them out of their territory and helping them focus on you. You can use a tube or box to move him. I wasn’t having much progress with my mouse until I started taking him into our upstairs bathtub for taming sessions. Hoped this helped. Very Happy

Current mice: Pheobe, Blossom, Daffodil, Zinnia, Marigold,
and Aster
Remembering: Peaches, Pepper, Tulip, Orchid, Iris, Luna, Noche, Mrs. Frisby, Daisy, and Benson
PeachesandPepper92918
PeachesandPepper92918

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 20 Jul 2019, 1:04 pm

Yes, what @PeachesandPepper92918 said. Taming sessions almost always go better outside of their cage in a neutral safe play space like a dry bathtub or a large storage bin. Also, stop hand feeding treats - at least until you’ve got this biting situation under control. It just seems to encourage biting in my experience. Instead, leave treats scattered and hidden around his cage for him to find on return from a session. He’ll still make the connection and if you tend to get him out around the same time daily, you may find he’ll start to look forward to your play sessions. Very Happy

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down