Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this a male or female???

3 posters

Go down

Is this a male or female??? Empty Is this a male or female???

Post by Ssmousy Wed 11 Sep 2019, 10:57 am

I got three “females” from the Petco. But this ones genital region looks different. Are these balls dropping? Is this a male or female??? B3bd6010

Ssmousy
Ssmousy

Back to top Go down

Is this a male or female??? Empty Re: Is this a male or female???

Post by Robin~ Wed 11 Sep 2019, 11:36 am

Definitely a female. Keep in mind males have some very obvious testes on them in a warmer room (70-75F), so that should be a tell tale sign.

Here’s an article going more in depth:

http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t45-sexing-mice

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparrow Wed 11 Sep 2019, 11:45 am

This may sound a bit strange but I found that female mice with black coats have a bit of a different look to them and so are not as easy to sex them. At least that has been the case in my experience with owning 6 different black mice.

To me this looks to be a female. You can clearly see the nipples - male mice never have nipples and so this is one of the easiest ways to make sure that you indeed have a female. Secondly, the line from the two "holes" is very clearly continuous. Male mice usually have the line fading out to the point where there is none halfway there (I'm not sure if my way of describing this even makes sense). Next, the space between the vagina and the anus is not too far away. Like I said earlier, I found that often black mice have a larger distance between the two, than females with a different coat. I am not sure why that is, or if it was just something that was the case with my gang but it is very obvious especially when holding them next to other females.

The amount of times I took my black females out to double check because I thought I saw the balls dropping only to have to put them back after yet another closer examination...

I might be wrong and if I am, I would love to be corrected for future reference by a more knowledgeable mouse lover.
Sparrow
Sparrow

Chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ssmousy Wed 11 Sep 2019, 12:02 pm

Thanks so much! So I can move her back in with her sisters. I think I may keep her separate for a little longer for taming purposes. She’s very skittish, and I’ve had better luck with her in the last couple days since she’s been separated. She still won’t let me touch her but when I stick my hand in the tank and lay it flat she starting to come sniff it.
Ssmousy
Ssmousy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down