Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

recommended diet for mice that will be bred?

3 posters

Go down

recommended diet for mice that will be bred? Empty recommended diet for mice that will be bred?

Post by MOMM Sat 14 Sep 2019, 1:03 pm

I am planning on breeding mice and was wondering:
- what should I feed the males? how often?
- what should I feed females who are not pregnant? how often?
- what should I feed females who are pregnant or nursing? how often?
- what treats (besides occasional mealworms) are good for mice?

We are debating between getting food from pet stores and mixing them or making our own food from a list of reccomended ingredients.

MOMM

Back to top Go down

recommended diet for mice that will be bred? Empty Re: recommended diet for mice that will be bred?

Post by chiroptera Sun 15 Sep 2019, 7:37 pm

I don't know about breeding mice specifically, but as far as I know, males and females should be fed the same things. Might be different for those who are pregnant/nursing, however!

Mice should ALWAYS have food available for them, they have very fast metabolisms. As soon as you see they've eaten all/most of their food, you should refill it.

I personally feed a mix of: parakeet food (Vitasmart), Science Selective Rat lab blocks, and grains (barley, flax, wild rice; sometimes oats, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, etc.), with a few extras mixed in (nuts, pumpkin seeds, dry pasta). If you decide to make a homemade mix, do your research and make sure your mousies aren't getting too high of a fat/fiber/protein concentration!

As for treats, mice love all kinds of goodies! Fresh or dried fruits and vegetables, Cheerios and similar cereals, small amounts of chips/crackers are all good for treats! I've found that my mice love Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips Razz You'll find that different mice have different preferences; Checkers loved walnuts and when she was sick that's the only thing we could get her to eat.

Make sure to check out the Mouse Diet packet, the Safe Foods list, and the Breeding Packet!

http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t15-mouse-diet
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t2-safe-foods
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

@MOMM Welcome to the site! c:

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

recommended diet for mice that will be bred? Empty Re: recommended diet for mice that will be bred?

Post by MOMM Mon 16 Sep 2019, 2:49 pm

Thank you!! My partner and I have decided to use parakeet mix as well as lab blocks and a rodent mix. We have researched and used the diet post in this site Smile

Current Mice: Jersey Girl, Little Miss Salem, Avalon
Over the Rainbow Bridge: River, Sky, Olympus & Delaware

N:
???
------------------------------------------------------------
MOMM:
Current Mice: none yet Smile
Over the Rainbow Bridge: none yet Smile

MOMM

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Mon 16 Sep 2019, 3:16 pm

This moreso goes for all of breeding, but, if you have any breeders near you and would be willing to have a convo with one directly that would be fantastic and may give you some more direct advice Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by MOMM Mon 16 Sep 2019, 7:50 pm

Robin~ wrote:This moreso goes for all of breeding, but, if you have any breeders near you and would be willing to have a convo with one directly that would be fantastic and may give you some more direct advice Smile

I've spent the day trying to message breeders and stuff, but I can't send most forms to even apply to be approved to adopt mice from them because I'm a minor and haven't talked about getting the mice to their homes just yet (the project officially starts October 31st)

Current Mice: Jersey Girl, Little Miss Salem, Avalon
Over the Rainbow Bridge: River, Sky, Olympus & Delaware

N:
???
------------------------------------------------------------
MOMM:
Current Mice: none yet Smile
Over the Rainbow Bridge: none yet Smile

MOMM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down