Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

peckish rat and mouse menu?

3 posters

Go down

peckish rat and mouse menu? Empty peckish rat and mouse menu?

Post by scarlett Fri 27 Sep 2019, 2:04 am

i'm looking for appropriate foods and so far it looks like this is the most suitable one i can find.. other than the low fibre it sounds okay but does anyone have any other reccomendations available in australia or anything i would need to supplement with?

https://www.petbarn.com.au/peckish-rat-mouse-menu-1kg

scarlett

Back to top Go down

peckish rat and mouse menu? Empty Re: peckish rat and mouse menu?

Post by Robin~ Fri 27 Sep 2019, 8:33 am

Due to the fiber levels that food simply wouldn’t be suitable. I could understand if it were 7-9% but 4% is crazy low. You may be able to bump it up a bit with some oats, millet, and or barley, but keep in mind you’d have to fully calculate the new GA.

Sometimes bird seed can make for a good diet, but it seems in your country most bird foods add grit directly into the food, which wouldn’t be ideal for rodents. Perhaps you could do more digging in that direction?
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 27 Sep 2019, 11:25 am

I’m having trouble seeing the nutrition info with my phone. Can you post what the crude protein, fat, and fiber are? Also, this food has very low variety with only Wheat, Oats, Barley, Sorghum, Cracked Maize, Cracked Lupins, and Black Sunflower listed. This food may only be ok mixed with another food to add more variety and get more suitable protein/fat/fiber. Which for the average pet mouse from untracked lines should be 12-14% crude protein, 5-8% fat, and <10% fiber.
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t15-mouse-diet

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Fri 27 Sep 2019, 11:36 am

CallaLily wrote:I’m having trouble seeing the nutrition info with my phone. Can you post what the crude protein, fat, and fiber are?  Also, this food has very low variety with only Wheat, Oats, Barley, Sorghum, Cracked Maize, Cracked Lupins, and Black Sunflower listed. This food may only be ok mixed with another food to add more variety and get more suitable protein/fat/fiber.  Which for the average pet mouse from untracked lines should be 12-14% crude protein, 5-8% fat, and <10% fiber.
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t15-mouse-diet

Protein: 10.86% min

Fat: 3.64%

Fiber: 3.94%

So, in actuality, all of these would be considered too low.

Side note: got these from the picture of the back of the bag which was kinda blurry but I was able to at least somewhat make it out.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by scarlett Fri 27 Sep 2019, 4:47 pm

oh right in that case I will keep looking, thanks for the help!

scarlett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down