Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Hemp Bedding Safe?

4 posters

Go down

Is Hemp Bedding Safe? Empty Is Hemp Bedding Safe?

Post by Nicolademee Thu 02 Jan 2020, 2:40 pm

I've just discovered hemp animal bedding. It's actually nicely cheap but is it safe? Has anyone used it before? I'll try to attach a Photo but I'm still new here so I'm not sure if it will work. Thanks for your help!Is Hemp Bedding Safe? Screen10
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Is Hemp Bedding Safe? Empty Re: Is Hemp Bedding Safe?

Post by Robin~ Thu 02 Jan 2020, 3:25 pm

Not sure if that brand specifically is ok but it’s pretty commonly used in the hamster community (namely Aubiose in the UK).

Seeing as it’s from Walmart I’d take some precautions and freeze the bedding first to prevent mites, but I’d give it a go!

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolademee Thu 02 Jan 2020, 5:44 pm

Okay great! What do you think of using fleece lining on the bottom of the cage and giving a few handfuls of bedding in hides for nesting?
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Thu 02 Jan 2020, 6:07 pm

Nicolademee wrote:Okay great! What do you think of using fleece lining on the bottom of the cage and giving a few handfuls of bedding in hides for nesting?

I wouldn’t recommend using fleece as a bedding— it has no odor control and doesn’t really absorb stuff well. I’d imagine the hemp would be a pain to get off, too.

Be sure you provide a good amount of bedding (ie more than a few handfuls). Mice need plenty of bedding so they can thermoregulate and adjust how deep their nest is depending on the temp. At least 6” is recommended Smile

If you do go with hemp, depending on how scratchy the bedding is, you may want to add in some shredded toilet paper as well as it makes for softer nesting material to sleep on.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolademee Fri 03 Jan 2020, 5:18 pm

Is Aspen shavings alright with some shredded tissue/toilet paper for nesting? I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep both the mouse and my wallet happy lol. Ofc mousey comes first and I'll do whatever is necessary to keep them happy.

Edit: Pine and cedar is also unsafe for mice, right? I'm a hamster person lol.
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Fri 03 Jan 2020, 5:28 pm

Nicolademee wrote:Is Aspen shavings alright with some shredded tissue/toilet paper for nesting? I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep both the mouse and my wallet happy lol. Ofc mousey comes first and I'll do whatever is necessary to keep them happy.

I had a pretty bad experience with aspen what with the amount of dust in mine but maybe I just had a bad batch? Either way, if you go with aspen, be sure to use shredded aspen and not shavings (shavings being like Kaytee Aspen, shreds being like reptile aspen) as shavings are very bad at holding burrows.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolademee Fri 03 Jan 2020, 5:32 pm

Okay cool Smile and about pine and cedar: with hamsters they're mostly okay if kiln-dried, does that hold true for mice?
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolademee Fri 03 Jan 2020, 5:44 pm

And I feel it's obvious but I'll still ask: pellets aren't s good bedding bc they don't hold a good burrow, right?
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Fri 03 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm

Cedar is never good kiln-dried or not; kiln-dried pine is debated. I just steer clear of that entirely due to mice’s sensitive respiratory systems.

Yes, pellets aren’t recommended on their own for that reason, but they can be mixed into the bedding or used in a portion of the cage to act as odor control.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyLynn Tue 07 Jan 2020, 9:03 pm

Honestly I prefer the crinkle paper bedding. You can get it with it without baking soda. I use this with hay in certain areas and lots of toilet paper for nesting. It is natural and they weave cool nests with it. Sometimes I even buy a little bit of the colored stuff.

Eco-Bedding FiberCore Small Animal Enrichment Fun Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZSCZCCD/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_ZvufEb6XZXWGF

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolademee Wed 08 Jan 2020, 9:09 pm

Crinkle bedding as in the stuff they put in Easter baskets? If that's suitable... that's awesome!! That stuff is everywhere! Is that good as a main bedding? Should I offer some clean and cozy and tissues?
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Wed 08 Jan 2020, 9:26 pm

I would be a little hesitant with crinkle paper, mostly due to how, I would assume, it doesn’t insulate well. Paper beddings like Carefresh and Kaytee C&C are a bit more dense and can hold in more heat.
I think it would be nice to mix in to help with burrowing, but I don’t think I’d fully recommend it.

Another note: if you go with Easter basket filler, be sure that the ink is non-toxic.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolademee Wed 08 Jan 2020, 9:35 pm

Robin~ wrote:I would be a little hesitant with crinkle paper, mostly due to how, I would assume, it doesn’t insulate well. Paper beddings like Carefresh and Kaytee C&C are a bit more dense and can hold in more heat.
I think it would be nice to mix in to help with burrowing, but I don’t think I’d fully recommend it.

Another note: if you go with Easter basket filler, be sure that the ink is non-toxic.

I just find it interesting it's used at all. I assumed it wasn't very nice. I may mix it in to help boost the amount of bedding I use and have to buy less clean and cozy. Thank you
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Is Hemp Bedding Safe? Empty Crinkle Bedding

Post by AmyLynn Sat 01 Feb 2020, 10:27 pm

I would not use the stuff for easter baskets. It is not made for animals. There are brands that are specifically for pet bedding. I also provide shedded papper towel and tolliet paper of nesting material. Every mouse has different preference. I has seven mice currently and they like different stuff. My male Pepper only likes the crinkle papper bedding. If you put carefresh or softer paper bedding in his house he gets mad and pushes it all to the corner and sitts on the glass tank. I would buy a few types and see what your mouse prefers.

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Mon 03 Feb 2020, 1:51 am

@Nicolademee My roommate has used that exact brand for a mouse and hamsters, and it was actually pretty nice, they liked it a lot!

As for the additional discussion, I use shredded paper towels and add in the crinkle paper as well as tissue paper. Haven't had any problems with dollar store crinkle paper/tissue paper, they like to nest with the crinkle paper! Personally I think paper towel/tissue combo is just as good at odor control as Carefresh/KT (and much cheaper)

Pellets are awful in my opinion, I used them once because my roommate had some leftover after their hamster passed away and I hated it. It made the bin extremely heavy, they couldn't really use it as bedding, it made awful clanking sounds when they ran in their wheels, ugh.... sorry, just had to vent about how awful pellet bedding was Laughing

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum