Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is bar climbing and monkey barring normal?

4 posters

Go down

Is bar climbing and monkey barring normal? Empty Is bar climbing and monkey barring normal?

Post by Nicolademee Sun 05 Jan 2020, 12:21 am

I don't have mice yet but I'm preparing for them. In the hamster community, if a hamster is biting, climbing, or hanging from the bars of a cage frequently, it means they're stressed/bored/their environment is too small. Is this the same in mice? I assume any repetitive behavior isn't good, but is bar climbing typically okay? I know mice instinctively climb a lot more than hamsters so I assume it's more normal. I just want to be sure so I know how to spot signs of stress in my new pets.

PS do you guys have any "non feminine" females names for mice? My male friend may be getting some females and I'm trying to figure out some less fruity names for him
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Is bar climbing and monkey barring normal? Empty Re: Is bar climbing and monkey barring normal?

Post by Oreoandfriends Sun 05 Jan 2020, 7:45 am

I I have never used a barred cage for my mice, but from what I know a limited amount of bar climbing is normal. Just make sure you provide a lot of ladders and toys that are hanging so they aren’t limited to just the cage sides. Since mice love to climb so much, bars are probably a helpful tool for them to get around with Smile as long as the behavior isn’t obsessive or panicked, I wouldn’t worry about it!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Is bar climbing and monkey barring normal? Empty Re: Is bar climbing and monkey barring normal?

Post by Nicolademee Sun 05 Jan 2020, 12:03 pm

Okay, thank you! Much appreciated
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sun 05 Jan 2020, 4:36 pm

I agree, bar climbing is fine provided it’s just to get to a location faster or something. I’d be concerned if it were climbing and trying to nose out/bar chew, though.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by ControlCoreAngel Sat 25 Jan 2020, 10:45 am

Hey! I've ALWAYS used barred cages, at least for the roof of the container. The walls on ours are plastic.

Mice LOVE to climb. They will learn to climb upside-down given the chance. Moneybarring and bar climbing are perfectly normal behaviors.

For names, use Behind the Name! You can select by gender and it's where I got the names for Svanhild, Juniper, Lumi, and Hiroko.

angel / mouse owner for 6+ years / they

current babies: pantalaimon / french fry

rip: svanhild / juniper / lumi / winter / echo / hiroko / fat baby / flick / fox / mayonnaise / macaroni / pipin / poppy / skittle
ControlCoreAngel
ControlCoreAngel
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Angelic

https://fandomstuckportal.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down