Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young bloated mouse (with picture)

2 posters

Go down

Young bloated mouse (with picture) Empty Young bloated mouse (with picture)

Post by Piethemouse Sat 18 Jan 2020, 12:19 pm

Hi everyone, I have a new mousie boy named Abe who is very bloated, only about 2 months old. He has two brothers and they are both fine. Feeding supreme science selective rat with some vitakraft vitasmart parakeet. I tried various things to help him-- veggies high in fiber and water to try and make him poop, the karo syrup and water mixture, etc. Didn't help. Couldn't get him into my usual vet so had to use the emergency one nearby.

They prescribed him metronidazole and metoclopramide for the next 10 days but they couldn't figure out what exactly was wrong with him. They just said it could be from an intestinal infection, bacterial imbalance, or something he ate. They also said since he is pooping it didn't seem like there was a blockage.

Just wondering if anyone could give me more insight. It is only the next morning so he hasn't shown any real signs of improvement yet. He's still active, eating and drinking, pooping (clearly not enough), but seems very uncomfortable.

Here's a pic. Yes he is being housed with his brothers but that's not what I'm here to discuss right now. Thank you!

Young bloated mouse (with picture) Abethe10

Piethemouse

Back to top Go down

Young bloated mouse (with picture) Empty Re: Young bloated mouse (with picture)

Post by Honey102019 Thu 16 Apr 2020, 4:19 am

Hi there.

Sorry your little guy isn't feeling well.

I know you posted this a while ago but if he still is having issues I would try to gently rub his belly with a q-tip dipped in warm water or your finger. This is what is recommended when you are hand feeding orphaned babies. It stimulates the digestive system to get things moving. You can also watch this Creek Valley Critters video. It shows you what to do...

Raising a Baby Mouse 6/10 Dehydration, Bloat

The only other thing I can think of is he is not getting enough water/fluids, he is eating something that is upsetting his tummy like corn or dairy or some sort of food sensitivity, he has a stomach viral or bacterial infection, or he has worms.

You can try giving him some Pedialyte via a syringe to address the fluids issue. Do this with no more than .05 ml (this is easier with a .1 ml syringe with the needle and needle mount removed). Press the plunger slowly and stop every .01 ml. Do not get it in his noise. If you do this too fast or push too much fluid he could aspirate.

A food sensitivity could be figured out with an elimination diet. That usually starts with just cooked white rice for 3 days. Then adding the fortified pellet back. However, I would hate to make a possible constipation issue worse with no fiber.

It's best to talk this idea and others over with your vet or a new vet. Getting a 2nd opinion when it comes to treating mice is sometimes necessary. Some exotic vets or pocket pet vets aren't as experienced with mice as they are with other rodents. This is an international exotic vet directory. Hopefully you can find another vet who can help...

Assocation of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians

I hope he's feeling better. If not I hope what I've shared points you towards a solution. Good luck. Smile
Honey102019
Honey102019

Cool

Back to top Go down