Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needing help hopefully fast.

2 posters

Go down

Needing help hopefully fast. Empty Needing help hopefully fast.

Post by Lizz's mouse house Sun 16 Feb 2020, 9:27 pm

Hello all, first I'd like to let yall know my spelling and grammar is appalling. I'm sorry I at least try to sound it out but I've learned a long time ago that dosent mean it's right.

Anywho some back round on my and family's mouse owning to help get to the situation I'm in curently. Sorry it's a bit long but I really wanted to get all the context i could for the situation I need help with. And for a clear informative answer. As I've read researched and googled everything I an get my hands on and still nothing to quite match what I'm seeing or the situation...so far and open for any thing more you guys might have I might not.

Context, I've had mousers almost my whole life always femles, 3rd genaration long time mouse owner if you will. mom and grandma were the first and second generation and my daughter is three and is on her way as a possible 4 gen she already very good with our fur babies with watching and lessons on gental holding and playing till shes old enough to grasp caring for.

ever since I was little we've always got my fur babies always female at pets smart. I've always hated how they "cared" if you can even call it that for there animals,but I loved knowing soon a fur babies life would change for so much better. However I've never till lately known there were vets that would take small animals or that thethere were breeders for "higher quality and Better cared for babies." 

In turn I researched if there were any vets or breeders in any town I've lived in. Considering nither my grandma or my mom heard of or knew there were such things. even as far as to tell me when I had my first mouse tumor, that vets dont take small animals mice,guinnepigs,farrets,rabbits ect. So looking into every town and surrounding I've lived. i found why long time mouse owners had no knowledge of such people was because there weren't/ arnt such people for over 100 miles of us and we dont drive as we have degenerateive eyesight "we cant pass the eye test for driving with or without glasses or contacts" so that's another reason why not I guess.

(we always lived in very rual areas in towns that usually had the same construct of the bare basics people who keep to them selfs,dirt roads,a church,a store,a library,a police station with a handful of officers that are never there and are home intill theres a call. Every thing else youll have to go to ananother town for. Yes that includes hospital and even fire department as in another town! That fact scared me some times. But always as far from any regular or big city's as possible...my mom has alot of phobias... 

Now as an adult in a few states away from were I used to live,here i am in a rual area no breeders or vets that take small animals. even less then the state I used to live in.. had I known before now id probably moved somewhere else and went through a breeder for fur babies.

The situation: my babies from petsmart obviosly ddifferent from the other petsmart I was lucky enough to always have the right sex from. Thought to be all female turned out not so much so we have.. missy Smile minnie  Smile and carlos Smile rip. Mr.mouse Rainbow Angel 
Missy already had a litter at the pet store all the babys were bought but not missy who was alone in her case so I did. Missy was the oldest and at the time thought to be minnie,daisy and flower were/looked just weaned babies. (hence not noticing 2 were actually boys in the females case) from a different litter as mom,aunt,and grandma was in the same case.

Missy and mr.mouse became pregnant and I then separated minnie from carlos.

As I always had females and never had to worried about babies.  I researched and googled my butt off so I could have the knowledge to care for her and her young the best way I possibly could. With that is how I found this gift of a website after reading the breeding info. I then read the other info articles on here and is also when I learnd about breeders and vets that do take mice. (So thank you for the absolute gift that is this website)
then read some of the questions answers and what not on the page and created an account because I've never seen a place so beautiful Love

I let mr.mouse stay with missy intill he passed I just wanted him to be comfortable in his last few weeks while also doing my part as I had bonded with them all and he went peacefully sleeping next to missy and his favorite head rubs from momma Crying or Very sad im crying while trying to Wright this.
Its only been a couple weeks. 

I then put minnie with missy so she wasn't alone after loseing mr.mouse and as they all got along together during play time. And as I thought minnie assumed her nanny position perfectly. I'm very proud. I thought minnie and carlos might have been pregnant before I moved carlos but if my math is right she should have had her litter shortly after missy. The babies are 3.5 weeks approx as when I saw the pups when they were still see through pink and eyelids and ears were still covered with the see through pink skin but I didnt see the exact day they were born.(I usually spot andor clean out the cage once a week but twice a week when she was 7 weeks to be sure she had a clean area for birth and so I could see if she had any problems since she already had a litter and i didnt know her age ) I didnt disturb much when I seen them. when i clean I remove the little house first and she had her nest ready for the last 3 clean checks so I didn't think they were there yet. They were all includeing momma and nanny 
Still asleep when I put the little house back and quietly shut the cage door. There were 8 pinkys, momma missy did so amazing no complications and as of today there are 8 babys. 1 white 2 black or (maybe brown) and
 5 black(maybe brown) and white babys. Now if I only knew who were boy and girls...

Help:
I have reaserched and continue to research since i first seen them,the next step of sexing. as said the babies are 3.5 weeks so I have tried and tried again trying to sex them. Every week I try in meany ways.. with female and male references by my sIde I check by scuff and looking,under a glass,perched on food, the base of tail(while 2 paws still touching) I don't like that one much just because I feel wrong even though base Of the tail is ok
I'd rather keep to just petting and having them "hold my hand" I call it when they wrap here tale around your finger when there enjoying pets.
nipples or not but I cant find them on any of them bubut That dosent mean the are not there.
also the spacing and look of genitala but for me some do look longer then others but with Not being aable to see nipples I check the pink part that should look like a shaft and balls or dot and a vaginal opening. Going as far as to lift the pink part to get a better look for and opening or sagging skin. However week after week I check and try to get a picture so I can study and compare that way I can never get one good enough for me to see and comparing to the male and female reference they all look very Simaler to eachother but not like the male female references. And every week I get a different count of each and its definitely defeating. Is there anything else to know for sure at this point I wish they could just tell me so I can separate the boys. Because I dont want them all together past the week to separate.because 
Yes this has been a wonderful learning and new life experience, and a part of mr.mouse is still alive and well.... I dont want another happy accident even tho I did anything and everything I could learn and to do exactly what needs to be done for this situation. I hope Im/was as close as I could get.
I give applause to people who can be a real and good breeder because its extremely something else..

Thank you guys I really appreciate if you read this and any feed back/answers given. 

I also know that pictures would help enormously, I will try to get good pictures since I have terrible eyesight maybe the picture is just fine for some one else to tell so I'll take some.. also I'm on a cellphone so those icons I cant hover over to know what they are also I read "how to upload or post pictures" since it wwould Be ccomeing From my phones gallery and I have no idea what any of those words mean I dont know all the  html bbcode none of the computer words lol... I'm 21 and all my friends have snapchat Instagram Twitter tik toc etc. I have Facebook and I barely know how to work that lol my friends tell me I have the internet skills of a 70 year old because even Some 60 year olds can do/understand more then me 😂

Again thank you guys 😊😊😊💜

Cancer

Back to top Go down

Needing help hopefully fast. Empty Re: Needing help hopefully fast.

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Mon 17 Feb 2020, 6:11 pm

Since we can't change the basic biological criteria for telling male from female, I guess we will have to come up with some helpful hints to assist you in recognizing them.

First, try making your observations using magnification.  I almost always have a 10x magnifier nearby, both at home and at work for all kinds of uses, so one was always handy for making close observations of my mouse April, when she was with me.  It was handy for checking her over from nose tip to tail tip -- I'd just pick up her acrylic tank while she was sleeping on the bottom, and look up at her from underneath through my magnifying eye.

Where you are located, I don't know if a 10x magnifier would be easy to come by in a store.  Some hobby stores carry them for doing detail work, such as in model building and jewelry making.  They are often called "loupes".  Otherwise, a standard magnifying glass with only 2x or 3x power magnification may be enough to help you out.  If you don't have one already, I've seen them for sale at dollar stores.  Also available at dollar stores, magnifying reading glasses can help too, if you buy the ones with stronger power lenses and be patient with finding the right distance you need to make your observations.  Looking around beyond that focal distance with strong readers on can make you feel a little nauseated like a headache is coming on.

The other thing that comes to mind is that, even if you have tried it already and couldn't figure out boy from girl, get all the babies together and compare their underbums one versus another, trying to spot those vital differences.  As you work, put your suspected girls in one box or other holder, put your suspected boys in another box, and then compare them to each other, boys to boys and girls to girls.  Then start comparing them between groups again, suspected boys versus suspected girls.  The odds are small that a litter of eight would turn out all boys or all girls (basically, one chance in 256 for eight girls, one chance in 256 for eight boys), so chances are rather high that SOMEbody has to look different in there!

Keep in mind that maybe the mousies are still young enough that the differences you're looking for are very subtle.  You are getting good practice, though, so keep trying, don't give up, and turn yourself into an expert!

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizz's mouse house Tue 18 Feb 2020, 5:16 pm

Thank you so much I will definitely try that!

Cancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down