Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse Food Dissection

4 posters

Go down

Mouse Food Dissection Empty Mouse Food Dissection

Post by Robin~ Sun 05 Apr 2020, 4:22 pm

The link to the doc/article can be found here.

Keep in mind these are conclusions I've drawn after discussion with my vet, reading articles about mouse care from experienced owners, and using some insight I've learned from owning hamsters. I would strongly encourage anyone to do their own research and talk to their vet before making any decisions on something as delicate and important as diet. Smile

Last edited by Robin~ on Fri 31 Jul 2020, 7:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mouse Food Dissection Empty Re: Mouse Food Dissection

Post by pomskies Tue 07 Apr 2020, 7:50 pm

This is amazingly detailed!! Definitely has a lot of great information that I'll personally be taking into account as I adjust my bucks' diets since I'm a newer owner.

With the allergens that you mentioned, what are some signs that your mouse may be allergic to them? I currently use a food that incorporates peanuts and sunflower seeds and haven't noticed any strange behavior that would indicate they were allergic, but I know allergies can develop too.

Also, I've seen in some articles that mixed grains and seeds can be problematic as the mice will pick around and refuse to eat necessary parts of their diets. In your research, have you come across that? I notice my mice definitely have their preferred foods but I haven't noticed them avoiding necessarily.
pomskies
pomskies

Aries Dancing

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Tue 07 Apr 2020, 9:13 pm

pomskies wrote:This is amazingly detailed!! Definitely has a lot of great information that I'll personally be taking into account as I adjust my bucks' diets since I'm a newer owner.

With the allergens that you mentioned, what are some signs that your mouse may be allergic to them? I currently use a food that incorporates peanuts and sunflower seeds and haven't noticed any strange behavior that would indicate they were allergic, but I know allergies can develop too.

Also, I've seen in some articles that mixed grains and seeds can be problematic as the mice will pick around and refuse to eat necessary parts of their diets. In your research, have you come across that? I notice my mice definitely have their preferred foods but I haven't noticed them avoiding necessarily.

Thank you!

A common sign of allergies is irritated skin/excessive itching, but these can also be signs of other problems like high protein content, skin infections, and parasites. As far as I’m aware none of my girls are allergic, but it’s just something to avoid just in case. If your boys are doing fine I would keep with it until/if things change.

I found selective feeding to only be a problem if you feed too much. Of course, my rodents always eat the seeds first then the pellets, but provided you don’t give any more until you finish what you have it shouldn’t become an issue. Smile
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Floopsy Thu 12 Nov 2020, 8:42 pm

Thank you very much! I am interested in feeding Sun Seed Vita Prima Parakeet. This (click) seems to be the product, but the ingredients differ slightly (the analysis is about the same).

Has: Ground Barley, Ground Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Dehydrated Apple, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Ground Buckwheat, Ground Spelt, Ground Chia Seeds, Ground Quinoa Seeds, Apple Pomace, Ground Banana, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product,  Carmine (color), Raspberry Powder, Strawberry Powder, Pot Marigold, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite, ... as well as perhaps more corn/soy?

Does not have: Dried Egg, Dried Chamomile Flowers, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Torula Dried Yeast,         Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Color Added (Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, Blue 1, Titanium Dioxide)

Is it a good option or is there more concern for allergies etc.?

Floopsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Thu 12 Nov 2020, 9:25 pm

Floopsy wrote:Thank you very much! I am interested in feeding Sun Seed Vita Prima Parakeet. This (click) seems to be the product, but the ingredients differ slightly (the analysis is about the same).

Has: Ground Barley, Ground Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Dehydrated Apple, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Ground Buckwheat, Ground Spelt, Ground Chia Seeds, Ground Quinoa Seeds, Apple Pomace, Ground Banana, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product,  Carmine (color), Raspberry Powder, Strawberry Powder, Pot Marigold, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite, ... as well as perhaps more corn/soy?

Does not have: Dried Egg, Dried Chamomile Flowers, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Torula Dried Yeast,         Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Color Added (Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, Blue 1, Titanium Dioxide)

Is it a good option or is there more concern for allergies etc.?

Hmm, seems like Sunseed changed their formula for this one, too. They've been doing that a lot lately. From what I can tell at a quick glance, though, it still seems to be a pretty good option, especially now that they've replaced their artificial dyes with natural ones. I'd recommend it in addition to a high-quality rat/mouse pellet. Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 15 Nov 2020, 10:30 pm

Thanks for this! I've never bought pellets before. When I owned mice last, many people didn't consider them necessary. Things changed a lot in just a couple of years, lol. Anyways, it's good to stay updated on information, so this time around I knew I wanted a pellet but I wasn't sure where to go. Now I know. <3

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum