Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Time Mouse Owner!

4 posters

Go down

First Time Mouse Owner! Empty First Time Mouse Owner!

Post by vothala Fri 10 Apr 2020, 2:11 pm

Hello!
I just recently become a mouse mom about a month ago to two female fancy mice. An acquaintance of mine had bought a female mouse from a big chain pet store and after having her for a few weeks realized she was allergic. I was asked if I wanted to take her and of course I said yes. I've never owned mice before but I have owned plenty of gerbils, a hamster, rats, and I currently have some degus. I brought her home and upgraded her from the small kaytee crittertrail she was being housed in. That's how I came to own Sparrow, but being a rodent owner I am aware of which rodents are social and which ones aren't. A quick internet search confirmed my suspicions that female mice need to be kept in pairs or more so shortly after that I adopted Pigeon. The introduction period didn't take very long even though I tried to take it as slowly as I could, but luckily they're been the best of friends since! I haven't had them for very long and I'm kind of learning as I go along that's why I joined this forum. In the near future I plan to introduce a third to the duo as I've heard that a trio is ideal for female mice. It's nice to meet you all! Smile
vothala
vothala

Cancer Zen

Back to top Go down

First Time Mouse Owner! Empty Re: First Time Mouse Owner!

Post by Honey102019 Thu 16 Apr 2020, 1:19 am

Hello and welcome!

Congratulations on your new mice.  You'll find they make wonderful pets.  They have unique personalities and are so fun to interact with.

If you are considering a 3rd mouse and can only take one more, consider adopting a lone female from a shelter or rescue group.  You can find mice on  adopt-a-pet  or  petfinder.

When mice leave the pet store alone it is very traumatic for them.  They were just pulled from their mom earlier that week or the week before, put on a truck, and dumped in a bin with other strange mice.  They may or may not have siblings with them.  Mice love their family members.  They feel grief when they die and when separated.  Crying or Very sad

With that said, I try to take at least two mice when I'm adopting from a store or breeder.   Love   I won't leave just one behind either.  So, if there are just three left, I take them all.  Group Hug

The difference between feeding and housing one and three is not a huge difference.  Granted you need to be able to provide vet care.  However, I rarely had more than one mouse sick at any given time.  If the others get the sick too, my vet gives me enough medication to treat everyone.  

Make sure to read the packet on Bringing Home Your New Mouse to prepare.  There are some things you need to do to build trust that go against your instincts when bringing the mouse home.  The section "Arriving Home" will explain this in more detail.

When introducing new mice, it's best to make sure your existing mice have gone through some sort of hand taming process.  This site has a really helpful packet on this subject...

Handling and Taming

You want to be sure you quarantine your new mice for at least 3 weeks before introducing them.  Mice from pet stores and even breeders, can be carrying a virus simply because they are in close proximity with so many other mice.  Quarantining them saves your money on vet bills and medication and may also prevent your from losing one of your existing mice whom you've bonded with.

You can hand tame the new mice while they are in quarantine, too.  Once they are out, you can begin introductions.  Refer to this packet for guidance...

Keeping Mice Together and Introducing Them

Congratulations, again, on your new mice.  Enjoy your new little ones. Very Happy
Honey102019
Honey102019

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Thu 30 Apr 2020, 8:25 am

Hello Vothala,
I’m new to the mouse world as well ☺

Hi Honey, your welcome post to Vothala is great, I’ve read all the links and am learning. Thank you!
Jenny
Jenny

Virgo Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by katelynh07 Sun 03 May 2020, 5:14 am

hello!
I have been researching getting two female mice and I have a 630 square inch bin cage I have a trixe woodent wheel and lots of hides and hanging toys. I have a small bag of kaytee clean and cosy but getting some more and I have already pick out some names for them-bonbon and toffee. I joined here because I would like to learn lots more.

thank you Smile

katelynh07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down