Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White Mills food?

2 posters

Go down

White Mills food? Empty White Mills food?

Post by Cramorantcramsalot Sun 26 Apr 2020, 12:23 pm

Hello, I'm new here, I have looked at document created by another user listing a ton of different foods, but it didn't seem to list any of this new brand called White Mills. Since I was given pregnant females I decided to go for the Canary and Finch formula with a bit of the rat formula. I have taken a screen shot of the ingredient list, I don't see anything that stands out too much as a bad ingredient, but I wanted someone with more experience to verify before I use it too much.

https://i.imgur.com/skJrxNC.png

Thank you!

Cramorantcramsalot

Back to top Go down

White Mills food? Empty Re: White Mills food?

Post by Robin~ Sun 26 Apr 2020, 2:32 pm

Hello!

My main issue with the canary/finch food is the GA--the protein is pretty high for most mice and the fat is twice the highest recommended amount. Ground oyster shells are also used (often for grit, which is needed by birds for digestion), which could potentially be dangerous. Corn is also semi-high on the ingredients list.

For the rat food, I'm really not a huge fan all around. Corn meal is the first ingredient, and all the common potential allergens (peanuts, sunflower seeds, and soy) are present. It also appears to be pretty pellet-heavy and have mostly larger pieces of food rather than the smaller, millet-like seeds mice tend to prefer. But, the GA is ok, so if you really wanted to continue using this food and your mice don't appear to have allergies, that could work in a mix, but otherwise I would steer clear. Smile

I'm not too sure about what pregnant mice need in terms of nutrition, but, from my experience with hamsters, you'll want what a regular adult eats and supplement with foods high in calcium/iron. Too much, say, protein, and the pups could grow to be too large and be difficult to birth. The general recommendation for pet shop mice is between 12-14% protein (although 15% is fine from my experience), 4-7% fat, and 6-10% fiber (going above is fine, it's just uncommon).

If you're in the States, I would recommend a base of Oxbow Adult Rat food with some sort of lower-protein seed mix, such as Sunseed Vita Prima Parakeet. This is what I use and it works very well for me.

I'll be sure to take a look at White Mills when I get the chance--currently I'm pushing my way through Sunseed's line of products but I'll keep this in mind. Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Cramorantcramsalot Sun 26 Apr 2020, 3:12 pm

Thank you for the reply! I completely missed the corn on the finch food. I was excited about it and liked it since it had a lot of herbs and grasses which would feel like a more natural diet. I'll go ahead and switch over to the lower protein seeds.

How would you prevent mice wasting pellets? That is the main reason I try to stay away from pellets, they nibble on them, and then discard. Sad

Cramorantcramsalot

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sun 26 Apr 2020, 7:56 pm

Cramorantcramsalot wrote:Thank you for the reply! I completely missed the corn on the finch food. I was excited about it and liked it since it had a lot of herbs and grasses which would feel like a more natural diet. I'll go ahead and switch over to the lower protein seeds.

How would you prevent mice wasting pellets? That is the main reason I try to stay away from pellets, they nibble on them, and then discard. Sad
Generally, not refilling the bowl until all of the food is gone will be your best bet. I've had to do this with all my rodents but it's worth it for a well-balanced, fortified diet Smile
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down