Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sneezy Mousie :(

2 posters

Go down

Sneezy Mousie :( Empty Sneezy Mousie :(

Post by katafrat Thu 21 May 2020, 12:34 am

hello! <3 thank you so much for taking the time to read this!
i've been very lost recently about the health of one of my mousies, iris. (female, approx. 5 months old) Kiss

if anybody needs a video, i can for sure attach one sometime soon! but to make things short, she's been pretty sneezy ever since she came home with me (about 2 months ago). she doesn't have any difficulty breathing, or any other symptoms (as i know) other than these little sneezy noises every once in a while. she's always been a pretty laid back mouse, so i'm sure it's just her personality when she's a bit more chill than the other two mousies in her cage.

but.. other than that, she doesn't seem to have any symptoms besides these little sneezes and tiny little squeaks before she sneezes. does anybody have any clues to what may be wrong?

here's some notes...
- their bedding is the Kaytee Clean and Cozy paper-based bedding
- i don't burn any candles, spray any perfumes, etc.
- they are in a 40 gallon aquarium with a mesh lid, so their ventilation is moderate-good
- the other two mousies in her cage are not sneezy, etc.

thank you again for the help if anybody reads! <3 Angel

katafrat
katafrat

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Sneezy Mousie :( Empty Re: Sneezy Mousie :(

Post by Robin~ Thu 21 May 2020, 7:16 am

Hello!

This sounds like a URI (upper respiratory infection). They can be very common in mice and, sometimes, without reason. It can typically be resolved pretty easily with a prescribed antibiotic. So, I would try to see an exotic vet as soon as possible.

If the medication doesn't help, you may want to look into getting a barred/DIY cage. Sometimes tanks can have issues with holding ammonia/dust as there's not enough air flow to whisk it away. Some similarly-sized potential options (if you're in the US) could be the Prevue 528, a meshed rabbit/guinea pig cage (secure 1/4" hardware cloth over the barred portions), or a 200qt bin cage with four sides and top meshed (be sure to leave at least 6" at the bottom for bedding). If you want more info about any of these I have some experience with the latter two. Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by katafrat Sun 24 May 2020, 8:30 pm

Robin~ wrote:Hello!

Thank you so much for your help! ~ I ran Iris over to the vet today and everything seems to be fine. Just allergies. Smile
I really appreciate your post, you helped me a lot during her little sneezy fits. Hearts

katafrat
katafrat

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down