Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wire/Mesh Wheel Doesn't Run???

2 posters

Go down

Wire/Mesh Wheel Doesn't Run??? Empty Wire/Mesh Wheel Doesn't Run???

Post by M O U S E Sat 23 May 2020, 8:13 am

I currently use a saucer spinner for my mice, but my mice use it like a bathroom all the time! I also have a wire/mesh spinner (it has wires going both across the wheel and around, so I think it's a mesh, but until I researched this topic I didn't know there were different types). I would like to use it, however, it isn't "loose" enough to spin with only one mouse on it. If one of them is on it, she can climb around the whole wheel without it so much as budging, but if both of them are on it, it's fine.

Is there a way I can make the wheel run smoother? Like a mouse safe oil, sanding, etc? Or is it perfectly okay to have a wheel only both mice can use?

Thank you all in advanced!
M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Wire/Mesh Wheel Doesn't Run??? Empty Re: Wire/Mesh Wheel Doesn't Run???

Post by BrendoniUrie Tue 26 May 2020, 8:43 pm

Yea saucer spinners are annoying like that :/

If you post a photo of the wheel it may be more helpful but I have a similar wheel and I can fully disassemble it so that I can oil the axel as it starts to squeak once they get enough miles on it. I just put some olive oil on a paper towel and wipe it down. I personally wouldn't put in a wheel that can only be used with both mice as sometimes my mice have different energy levels and one of them can run all night while the others prefer tunnels and hides.

There are also different sizes of wheels, and I doubt even my largest girl could spin one of the larger mesh wheels they sell for rats. It could just be impossible for them to make it move alone.

Passed away:
[/i] Jay
the Betta
BrendoniUrie
BrendoniUrie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Sat 22 Aug 2020, 7:14 am

BrendoniUrie wrote:Yea saucer spinners are annoying like that :/

If you post a photo of the wheel it may be more helpful but I have a similar wheel and I can fully disassemble it so that I can oil the axel as it starts to squeak once they get enough miles on it. I just put some olive oil on a paper towel and wipe it down. I personally wouldn't put in a wheel that can only be used with both mice as sometimes my mice have different energy levels and one of them can run all night while the others prefer tunnels and hides.

There are also different sizes of wheels, and I doubt even my largest girl could spin one of the larger mesh wheels they sell for rats. It could just be impossible for them to make it move alone.

I saw this when you posted it, so sorry for deciding to reply so late...
It turns out they can run on it individually, and they were just running together whenever I saw them on it. So, that issue it solved. Also, thank you for mentioning using olive oil to get rid of the squeaking wheel. It was very, very helpful!
M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by BrendoniUrie Sat 22 Aug 2020, 12:47 pm

No problem! I'm just glad I could help you out with that!

Passed away:
[/i] Jay
the Betta
BrendoniUrie
BrendoniUrie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum