Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fighting nonstop during introductions (HELP!)

2 posters

Go down

fighting nonstop during introductions (HELP!) Empty fighting nonstop during introductions (HELP!)

Post by ava001 Wed 22 Jul 2020, 8:30 pm

Hello again! My two original girls (Crackers & Gloria)  were introduced to their two new roommates today. Cecily & Stellaluna, the new girls were first introduced on my floor in a pen. Then the girlies were moved into a small bin cage with bedding and water dish for about an hour. After that they were put in the completely cleaned out 40 gallon with just bedding. I then added a shoebox (at this point there had only been one small scuffle between Cecily and Gloria) with tons of holes cut out and 20 minutes later a wheel. When the wheel was added in Gloria started going after Cecily. Within the span of about half an hour of putting Gloria in the timeout bin and removing the wheel and adding both in again, she was still going after Cecily. Its been 5 hours and Gloria is still chasing Cecily around so shes back in the small bin cage. I'm not quite sure what to do because one minute they're curled up in a nap pile together and the next they're balled up in a fight. There's no blood but Stellaluna and Cecily are smaller than Gloria and Crackers so I'm very nervous at how this is going to play out. Please help!

EDIT: Gloria started another fight and is bleeding ever so slightly on her shoulder it doesn't look like much and it doesn't seem to be bothering her but I separated her. I was out of the room during this and my sister couldn't tell which mouse drew blood. I realized I should have waited for the girls to become tamer before the introduction. any help is appreciated! I feed so bad for my mice right now
ava001
ava001

Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

fighting nonstop during introductions (HELP!) Empty Re: fighting nonstop during introductions (HELP!)

Post by chiroptera Wed 22 Jul 2020, 11:08 pm

If it's only Gloria causing problems, I'd personally recommend putting her in 'time-out' for a bit longer.

Whenever Mahjong would start picking on her sisters, she'd go to live by herself for a few days to a week, and when I put her back in there was no more fighting.

I'm not sure exactly why it works so well, since it seems to be anthropomorphizing them to think they would understand being put on time out, but it definitely seemed to work, at least for my mice.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

fighting nonstop during introductions (HELP!) Empty Re: fighting nonstop during introductions (HELP!)

Post by ava001 Wed 22 Jul 2020, 11:25 pm

In that case Gloria will be living on her own for a bit and will be introduced again. Should i thoroughly clean the permanent tank again when she’s reintroduced? Or is it ok to just plop her in again
ava001
ava001

Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Thu 23 Jul 2020, 3:23 am

I don't think it would hurt to clean the bin again, though I don't think I did every time Mahjong was being a brat and it still seemed to work Razz

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down