Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I never get to see him.

5 posters

Go down

I never get to see him. Empty I never get to see him.

Post by Uhura Wed 23 Sep 2020, 8:02 pm

I can't find a treat he likes.  If I leave one in the tank he might nibble it while I am not watching.

He is so nocturnal.  I can stay up late and still not see him.

I may be able to have a friend help me make a bin cage.  If not then at least I can find a longer aquarium.  But even then all he does is hide and sleep.  I can open the lid and start moving his stuff out and he still hides until I have enough out that I see movement.   I hate scaring him like that but I have to make sure he is alive.

With a better home he might at least be happier and do more and be awake when I am asleep but I still want to know what to do so he will wake up and see me if I take the lid off.  

No cereal or mouse treats or anything else I can find seems to work, although he is eating.  I feed him and can tell he is eating that way because the amount of food lessens.

Any advice?

Last edited by Uhura on Wed 23 Sep 2020, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarifying information)

Uhura
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

I never get to see him. Empty Re: I never get to see him.

Post by Robin~ Thu 24 Sep 2020, 7:32 am

Hello!

How full is the cage? Sometimes mice feel less comfortable with roaming around if the cage isn’t packed. As a general rule of thumb you shouldn’t be able to see the bedding at the bottom of the cage.

How long have you had him for? Sometimes newer mice just need a few days to become accustomed to their new home. Smile
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Uhura Thu 24 Sep 2020, 9:03 am

I have had him for 1-2 weeks. The tank is pretty full and you can't see the bottom. How much should be in a tank? As far as bedding, toys, etc?
Thanks for your reply.

Uhura
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Thu 24 Sep 2020, 11:44 am

Uhura wrote:I have had him for 1-2 weeks.  The tank is pretty full and you can't see the bottom.   How much should be in a tank?  As far as bedding, toys, etc?
Thanks for your reply.

For bedding, I recommend at least 6” of something burrow-friendly (you should be able to easily create a hole with your finger). In terms of toys the amount varies depending on your tank’s size.

How have you been approaching him? Have you tried just talking to him outside of the tank to see how he reacts to you? I had a hamster who would bolt every time I opened the lid but if I quietly talked to her before opening the cage up she would be a bit more curious. Smile
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Uhura Thu 24 Sep 2020, 12:47 pm

I talk to him often. But usually he is hiding in bedding and doesn't see me and I don't see him as I am talking. I don't know if he is sleeping through my voice or hiding.

The reason I am hoping a friend will help me make a bin cage is that I should be able to have one higher than tanks. That would give him more room to climb. I can get bigger aquariums but most aren't high. How high should a bin tank be? And how much in both tanks and bin cages, how much of the floor should be covered in toys?
I don't want him depressed or lonely but the housing I am in will only allow me to have one.

Uhura
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Thu 24 Sep 2020, 1:37 pm

You can't get a mouse companion for him even if it was permitted. Males must be kept alone. Where did the mouse come from? Do you know if he was ever handled at all? "Feeder" mice are often completely untamed.  

I'm new to owning mice and find that they seem to be pretty nervous and quite cautious but they are extremely curious and should come around in time.

If yours is this terrified - hopefully, he's just not tame and isn't sick -  it's going to take a lot of patience. You'll need to sit by his bin and just talk to him. Put your hand in and leave it there and see if he'll come out to sniff and take a treat. Gradually he should get the idea that no harm will come to him and start to trust you. There are YT videos demonstrating the best ways to tame mice.

I made a bin playground for my mice to go when I'm cleaning their cages. It's about 32" long and tall enough that a 9" wheel on a stand fits easily. There are also hanging/climbing toys attached to the mesh top. It's hard to put too much in a mouse cage!Laughing

I never get to see him. KBbfOVh

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Uhura Thu 24 Sep 2020, 2:21 pm

I don't think he was ever handled.   I will keep trying.   But you said it is hard to put too much in a mouse cage so I will keep him supplied in lots of toys.  Should toys be alternated so he gets new ones each week or so?
Thanks for the picture.

Last edited by Uhura on Thu 24 Sep 2020, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding information)

Uhura
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Thu 24 Sep 2020, 2:53 pm

For a person with a new mouse that is reluctant to come out and "make friendly", I suggest using two things to your advantage, (1) a mousie's strong reliance on smell, and (2) a mousie's strong affinity for burrowing and hiding.

Make YOUR scent part of the mousehouse, so mousie associates that smell with his place of safety.  Rub the bedding in your hands before putting it in the mousehouse, tear up tissues by hand to add to it, breathe on items before putting them in, make a little fleece pocket and wear it like a mitten before setting it in for mousie to investigate (and maybe even try hiding or sleeping in), use a sweatshirt you've been wearing to partially cover the cage when you want to block light or noise -- there are LOTS of ways you can accomplish this.

Also, be aware of light and noise levels.  Keep the light level gentle, since mice are dawn-and-dusk critters.  Do not have any lights shining directly down into mousie eyes.  Keep the noise level gentle too, since mice have very sensitive hearing.  Remember that electronic equipment and fluorescent lighting make noises that you may not notice or can't even hear, but can be very loud and bothersome to a mouse. If you have a computer in the same room with mousie, turn it off when you go to visit, and maybe mousie will associate your arrival with the disappearance of "that confounded shrieking noise".

It took my little April about 10 days to get used to her new scene and come out for a look-around on her own. Then, within the next 10 days, she took to sleeping in a yogurt cup turned on its side on top of her bedding, climbing up my sleeves into my shirt to stay with me wherever I went, playing in the water when I'd wash my hands, and running across my shoulders and up and down my arms, peeping little instructions and orders to me. So be patient.
MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uhura Thu 24 Sep 2020, 2:58 pm

Ok thanks for the tips. I have had him a couple of weeks but haven't known about the tips I am learning here so will just start over. I read once about putting one of your socks in his tank. What do you think of that? Maybe I should take out some of his toys and replace them with ones that have more of my scent on them.

Is a bin tank or a higher aquarium better? Should I be concerned about what it is made of or only about the size? I can get a slightly higher bigger aquarium or will have more control over a bin tank when I go shopping for one the right size.

Uhura
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Wed 14 Oct 2020, 5:48 pm

I apologize for taking so long to respond.  We had a crunch time at work that just wasn't leaving me spare blocks of time to do much on this site. (I have no computer at home.)

I hope that by now things are improving for you and your mousie.  I probably would not have wanted to tell you too much more to do anyway.  Sometimes, with pets as with children, it's better to just go with the flow, rather than reading everything and trying to follow all the advice.

As for tank size, I favor keeping a new mouse in its original mousehouse, even if it's on the small side, until he seems comfortable and confident.  Upgrades in size and complexity will then be easier on the little fluffmeister -- he may consider the new space fun, rather than another scary unknown territory.
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Uhura Wed 14 Oct 2020, 5:51 pm

Thanks.
Things are improving. I talk to him a lot and it seems he is awake when I am more often.

Uhura
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly_mouse Sat 17 Oct 2020, 7:23 pm

Hi!!
I just had some tips that I used to get my mouse used to me, she was also very unfriendly at first (even from a breeder).
First of all, at first she wouldn’t even come out if I had the lid on her cage off. For about a week, I just look off the lid and sat next to the cage and talked to her (and her sister, but she was the one that needed it). I would watch tv or do homework or something and just get her used to being out and about in the cage while I was near. It actually worked! The other thing I did, is I would fill my palm with food and just place it down in her cage and after a while she started getting comfortable grabbing treats from my hand and running, then slowly grabbing them and staying, and finally perching herself on my hand to eat (mind you this took a while). Another thing that worked wonders is peanut butter (assuming your mouse doesn’t have a peanut allergy). Most mice can’t resist peanut butter but it’s very, very important not to give them too much as it’s very high in fat and so thick that it can block their airways. Just the tiniest, tiniest bit is great. I would put it on the tip of my finger and all my mice will run up and lick it off, although if you put it on your finger you have to be prepared for the possibility that one will decide to bite and not lick, which doesn’t hurt too bad, but keep that in the back of your mind. The other random thing that’s I’ve found that mice really love is gerber puffs. They’re really cheap, come in all different flavors, aren’t very unhealthy (in terms of treats), and really light and not very fatty so you can give them slightly more often than you would other treats. I like to hold these between my fingers and my mice bite off little pieces and will eventually just eat straight from your hand without taking chunks and running. I’m still trying to get my mouse used to being picked up, but so far I’ve been trying getting her to sit in my hand, then levitating it a bit and putting it back down, just to get her used to the sensation, and luring her into toilet paper tubes and picking those up. I wish you the best of luck!!

Molly_mouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Uhura Mon 19 Oct 2020, 10:35 pm

Thanks for the Gerber puffs. I never would have thought of that. I am still trying to find a treat that he loves. He likes some but not loves them. He is on his wheel now and his bin cage is near me. I talk to him often.

Uhura
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum