Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Higgins Rat/Mouse food

4 posters

Go down

Higgins Rat/Mouse food Empty Higgins Rat/Mouse food

Post by Cooper and Charlie Wed 30 Sep 2020, 8:03 am

Hi,
I was wondering if the Higgins Rat/Mouse food was a good food for mice. I've heard lots of people say that this is quality food and it looked like it had a lot of variety in it. But I don't know. I am obviously going to take out all the corn, but do you think I should add anything, or take out anything else?

Here is the ingredient list:

Red Milo, Oats, Corn, Wheat, White Millet, Sunflower Seeds, Flaked Beans, Peanuts, Green Split Peas, Flaked Peas, Flaked Carrots, Papaya, Beets, Green Peas, Bananas, Ground Corn, Brown Rice, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Wheat, Sun-Cured Timothy Hay, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Vegetable Oil, Cane Molasses, Sugar, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Color Added (Algae Meal, Annatto Extract, Turmeric, Beet Juice), Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Salt, Cranberries, Apples, Blueberries, Celery, Parsley, Lettuce, Spinach, Watercress, Brewer's Dried Yeast, DL-Methionine, Hemicellulose Extract, L-Lysine, Iron Oxide, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Rosemary Extract, Potassium Chloride, Yeast Extract, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Natural Citrus Flavor, Natural Banana Flavor, Natural Pineapple Flavor. Allergen information: Contains peanuts and/or other tree nuts.

The nutritional facts:
Crude Protein - Min. 14.0%; Crude Fat - Min. 7.0%; Crude Fiber - Max. 6.0%

Link to food: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/higgins-sunburst-gourmet-rat-and-mouse-food

Thank you! And comments are greatly appreciated!

Cooper and Charlie

Back to top Go down

Higgins Rat/Mouse food Empty Re: Higgins Rat/Mouse food

Post by SarahAdams Wed 30 Sep 2020, 4:32 pm

It's been so long since I last had rodents (rats) that I needed to look at what is being offered now. I ended up getting my mice Brown's Tropical Carnival Mouse and Rat food plus Mazuri Mouse and Rat Food, plus VitaKraft lab blocks, plus another variety that has mealworms in it. I mixed them all together and also scatter budgie seed and pumpkin seeds in their cages. I'm looking to add also the "Reggie Rat and Mini Mouse" food, plus I give some veggies/pasta/etc, a few times a week.
The consensus seems to be as long as you stay away from Kaytee, Walmart or Oxbow food you should be okay.
The nutrition guide on this site has been helpful for me!

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MeanMurine Thu 01 Oct 2020, 7:04 am

The food's nutritional analysis seems fine. However, taking out the corn might skew that, but also corn isn't particularly good. I've even heard of it being linked to tumours but I cannot confirm that for sure. Ground corn isn't removable from the mix because it's ground.
I see sugar and cane molasses on the upper part of the ingredient list, as well as peanuts, a fatty allergy risk, being included. All that fruit they include has sugar content also.
It's a food mice will get by on fine despite those flaws, but they should be taken into consideration.
I make my own mix instead of relying on store bought foods so I might just be a bit too strict about mousey diet though.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sat 03 Oct 2020, 8:23 am

Never remove anything from a mix of food; it could drastically alter the GA. While corn doesn’t have much nutritional value, that’s sort of the point in some cases—I’d imagine here it’s used to lower the protein content and make the food less rich.

Overall, I rated this as recommended on my rating list (the articles on here are pretty outdated, ex never feed a mouse purely bird seed), however, note there aren’t exactly many great mixes on the market in the States to begin with. It’s essentially more of a “better than most foods” than something I would outright recommend over homemade mixing. For homemade mixes, you can either do plenty of research yourself (referencing homemade hamster diets can be helpful, especially from European sources) or buy off a site like Etsy. There are a couple sellers on there (myself included) that sell homemade hamster mixes that could work as a base when added to a good pellet like Oxbow Adult Rat.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooper and Charlie Sat 03 Oct 2020, 9:31 am

Thank you for all the responses! Robin I would love to make a homemade mouse mix someday, but it's going to take me a really long time. I just got my mice in August and I am still in middle school. I will make sure I add the corn next time I refill the bowl too. And I'll check out etsy because if I find a diet on there I like that could work. I am just trying to give them a decent diet till I can go homemade, but everyone has been really helpful! Love

Cooper and Charlie

MeanMurine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum