Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does height matter in cages?

+2
CallaLily
Bandit Cat
6 posters

Go down

Does height matter in cages? Empty Does height matter in cages?

Post by Bandit Cat Sat 09 Jul 2016, 7:58 pm

There were a bunch of unused sterilite bins in our basement, I was able to pick a few to be used as new cages! Very Happy I have two 70 quarts, and one 18 quart. I was wondering if the 18 quart could be used as a mouse cage. It is high enough to hold a flying saucer, but I don't know about a silent spinner. Also, for mice bin cages do you have to do mesh on the top? For my hamster bin cage, I was able to just drill a bunch of holes in the lid. (I remember there being around 360 holes in the lid?)

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Does height matter in cages? Empty Re: Does height matter in cages?

Post by CallaLily Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:02 pm

Length x width is most important, height is nice for adding climbing things but at a minimum it only needs to be tall enough to fit a proper sized wheel.

As long as the bin is well ventilated, I don't think it matters how you go about getting it as long as the mice can't escape. However, I would think cutting out a section and attaching hardware cloth would provide better ventilation than a bunch of tiny holes.  But I could be wrong.

Last edited by CallaLily on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:27 pm

I would argue that height matters. if it can't fit a silent spinner, it's not tall enough for a mouse to be happy.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:42 pm

I kept a boy in a bin drawer that would only fit a saucer. If it's got a good length, you could add lots of fun maze types of toys for the mouse to run through and climb in and out of. If you put those in before you add any bedding, it'd be even more fun! He'd get to find all the little hides to slip into. Smile

I thought the trickiest part of having a short cage was getting the water bottle right. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:07 pm

Ventilation is more important for mice than hamsters. Obviously they both need to breathe, I'm not suggesting hamsters don't need oxygen haha. But #1 mice pee more and so ammonia will build up faster, which could be bad for their lungs without good ventilation. And #2 mice are much more susceptible to respiratory problems than hamsters, so ventilation becomes more important. So I think you would definitely need to have a cut out on the roof, or on the sides, and have that meshed over.

As for height vs. floor space, floor space is more important. BUT mice really really love to climb, and so I think the taller the better. With height you can add so many shelves, hammocks, fun climbing things. So for the 18 quart bin, without bars or much height, I wonder if they would have much climbing opportunities?

My quarantine/pre introductions cage isn't very tall - tall enough for a silent spinner, but that's about it. Maybe the 18 quart bin could be used for this purpose too?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:11 pm

What kind of mesh would I use for it? And can you find it on Amazon? I know silly question, Embarassed but I don't really like hardware stores.

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:16 pm

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Mesh-Tall-Hardware-Cloth/dp/B000BWY7UQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1468116851&sr=8-6&keywords=hardware+cloth
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:18 pm

Is there a topic on how to make a bin cage in the forum?

Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:28 pm

I don't think so, but there are a lot of good hamster ones that you can Google.
When I make lids, I just use a ruler to mark the section I want to cut out and heat up a butter knife on the stove.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:28 pm

I stress the word minimum. More height of course equals more room for climbing toys and more active mice.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 09 Jul 2016, 10:21 pm

My gerbils are in a 116 quart bin, so it's wider and longer then a 20 gallon long tank. I cut out the lid for the opening to be big enough to attach a metal screen top that would fit a 20 gallon long tank. They seem to be happy in there. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum