Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are the best treats for mice?!??

5 posters

Go down

What are the best treats for mice?!?? Empty What are the best treats for mice?!??

Post by Clementine Wed 21 Oct 2020, 9:12 am

I know that treats are necessary to help your mouse learn to trust you, and to reward good behavior. But there are so many! Anyone know which treats are the best- which are the healthiest, and which ones mice enjoy the most?
Clementine
Clementine

Scorpio Sluggish

Back to top Go down

What are the best treats for mice?!?? Empty Re: What are the best treats for mice?!??

Post by M O U S E Wed 21 Oct 2020, 9:21 am

Not all mice have the same tastes, so the treat that mice enjoy the most will be different for every mouse.

Always check the ingredients when purchasing treats from a store. They shouldn't be too high in sugar.

I personally have Tropical Carnival HOOPS treats. They suggest feeding no more than two per day, but that seems like a lot for a single mouse. I feed them a fourth of a hoop normally, or a half of they're really lucky.
Mice can also have a lot of different kinds of fruits and vegetables, such as carrots, apples, peas, banana, pumpkin flesh/seeds, etc. Look it up before you feed them a fruit or vegetable though if you are unsure! They can also have different kinds of nuts and seeds. Peanuts, however, are very high in fat, so feed them only in small moderations. I see seed mixes commonly used in training.
M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

What are the best treats for mice?!?? Empty Re: What are the best treats for mice?!??

Post by Clementine Wed 21 Oct 2020, 9:48 am

Thanks for the advice! 🙂
Clementine
Clementine

Scorpio Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by DecaffinatedKitsune Wed 21 Oct 2020, 9:50 am

I had a mouse that used to go nuts over anything I gave him, but all the mice I have now are much pickier. I have a couple that enjoys unsalted almonds occasionally, while one likes peanut butter. if your mice like them, a peanut everyone in awhile wouldn't hurt. I also recommend finding hamster and mouse treat recipes. it can be endlessly fun to bake your own!
DecaffinatedKitsune
DecaffinatedKitsune

Capricorn Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by MeanMurine Wed 21 Oct 2020, 9:51 am

Fresh fruits and veggies are going to be good healthy treats. Leafy greens are always a favourite in all my colonies. However, don't introduce too many new foods at once and keep water rich things in small portions to avoid diarrhea (a big mouse killer). Unsalted pumpkin seeds, walnuts and pecan nuts are also big favourites among my girls and boys, although they're fatty. Walnuts have been linked to cancer prevention in mice.
I also give whimzees, sugar free yoghurt drops, brown pasta, flaxseed for shiny coats, live or dried mealworms, grain free cat food, good quality dog biscuits, low sugar cereals such as bran flakes, cooked chicken, cooked eggs...
My most successful treat to date is rice krispies.
MeanMurine
MeanMurine
Jr Member
Jr Member

DecaffinatedKitsune likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MousieMomma Wed 21 Oct 2020, 12:25 pm

I hear original Cheerios are good treats in moderation (as anything should be, of course), and I like to give my girls Gerber Cheddar flavored corn puffs, sunflower seeds, peanut butter (in strict moderation), and small milkbones as an occasional treat. Of course, it all depends on what your mice like, and you should always be aware of what ingredients are used to make the treat, etc. Fruits and vegetables are also great for treat as well, like peas, carrots, broccoli, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc.

To sum it up, there are many treats you can give your mice, they should be given in moderation, and you should ALWAYS know what’s in the treat.

I hope this helped!
MousieMomma
MousieMomma

Sagittarius Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down