Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Further Taming

4 posters

Go down

Further Taming Empty Further Taming

Post by Mir’s Many Mice Sun 15 Nov 2020, 2:08 am

Ok so Murphy & Quincy have never been scared of hands. The breeder I got them from, Trillium Fancy Mice in Oregon, is a m a z i n g at taming their mice. However I found that I reached a roadblock months back where they remained cautious of my hand no matter how often I interacted with them. (Refusing to step Completely into my palm 90% of the time. Skirting around my hand, front feet only, etc.)

But I managed to find Trilliums Instagram > https://instagram.com/trillium.fancy.mice?igshid=eyrwbu7pmopk < just now and saw something that had a lightbulb 💡 blink brightly above my head in realization!  Shocked

I saw one of their videos of them interacting with their young mice. (So cute  Heart Eyes btw you should watch https://www.instagram.com/p/CDEgpVyAaEV/?igshid=p73fv9z8bjj3 ) They were interacting with the mice palm down over their heads. Which is something I had never done, I always go into the cage palm up because it had always scared my past feeder mice when I went into the cage palm down. (As if I was going to go in grabbing probably.) I’ve put my palm flat in the bedding before, because sometimes the top of the hand is less scary to mice. But I’d never cupped my hand in such a way for them to crawl under.

I just tried it out and they were far less apprehensive of my hand than usual. Crawling under it and brushing against my hand without worry. (Probably worry of being picked up?) There’s no guarantee it will help our overall relationship but I have a good feeling it will!

And I’m writing this to just say. Experiment! Learn what your mice do and don’t like with your hand <3 you may be surprised Love

(Maybe I’ll make a video and post it another time?)

Further Taming 64c57bbf_c52c_4e16_badc_c0706c8303f8_by_pancakeplatypus_de8aluw-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD04NTQiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC83NGNkZjE0ZS1iMzM1LTQzNDktOWJlOS1hNGJlMzQxMjU2MDNcL2RlOGFsdXctMjZkMTY5YzktYmVkNS00MzViLTljZTgtN2M2YmZjODJiOWFmLmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0

- Sincerely, Mir

Mir’s Mice
Quincy - Blue Point Standard        Murphy - Seal Point Standard
Further Taming 96f825e8_dc42_4424_a37c_b9871a89af3e_by_pancakeplatypus_de8al6f-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD04MTgiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC83NGNkZjE0ZS1iMzM1LTQzNDktOWJlOS1hNGJlMzQxMjU2MDNcL2RlOGFsNmYtMWIwYTY3ZDUtZDU1Mi00MzBkLWJlNmItNTUzNDM3YjBiYjljLmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0       Further Taming 4fefcef4_ff4b_467b_a7a2_6038fa77c262_by_pancakeplatypus_de8ala8-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD04NTQiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC83NGNkZjE0ZS1iMzM1LTQzNDktOWJlOS1hNGJlMzQxMjU2MDNcL2RlOGFsYTgtM2QxOWQ1NjctZDYwNi00YmQyLTkwZGMtMzNmOTliNTgzMjdmLmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0

(Manually adding signature because it’s not working)

Last edited by Mir’s Many Mice on Sun 15 Nov 2020, 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mir’s Many Mice
Mir’s Many Mice

Virgo Stressed

https://www.instagram.com/mirsmanymice/

River, chiroptera, SarahAdams, disastervibe and Kayann like this post

Back to top Go down

Further Taming Empty Re: Further Taming

Post by River Sun 15 Nov 2020, 12:31 pm

That's a good idea! I've always sat in the tub (towel down, drain covered) and let them crawl around. They like to hide under your legs and I guess they end up associating your smell with safety, but regardless, it's always worked for me. Might be worth a try!

Your signature isn't coming up for me, either.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Mon 30 Nov 2020, 8:50 pm

Ooh, this is an interesting idea! And that video is just way too cute!

My two mice were over two months old when I got them from the shelter and honestly I don't think anyone had really tried to tame them or spend quality time with them before. They won't let anyone other than me within three feet of their cage (they don't just dash into hides... they dash into their tunnels where it's practically impossible to locate them since the tunnels seem to span the entire cage floor), but just last night they stepped into my hand (two front paws, not all the way) for the very first time! They even stayed on my hand to eat their treats rather than leave. I'm very proud of them Love . I don't have a bathtub, and last time I tried the playpen it just scared the sh*t out of them, so I backed off and tried to make it up to them with their favourite treats (they forgave me lol). Considering how skittish they can be, every time they show me their bravery I feel so proud, and I'm always looking for small ways to help them take the next step forward, so thank you for the tip!

disastervibe

Taurus

River and SarahAdams like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Tue 01 Dec 2020, 10:44 am

I would love to bond with my mice more. I've had them for a few months, but they aren't extremely close to me. Like I have to use the tunnel method to take them out of their cage and such. They are tamed though. One thing they like to do that I think is a good taming technique is crawling up my sleeves. It's cozy, warm, and smells like me. Even the shyer of my girls likes it!
M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

disastervibe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: