Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Mouse Toys

+2
SarahAdams
brianna.love
6 posters

Go down

New Mouse Toys Empty New Mouse Toys

Post by brianna.love Tue 17 Nov 2020, 11:48 am

Hi all!!! I am a new mouse owner here, and sadly to say I feel like I haven't provided my mice with as many toys as they need and deserve. I want to know if there's any lower cost toys or things I can make for my mice because I am a high school student without a job (I hope to get one soon), so I am on a budget and my only income is the allowance I get. my parents have agreed to help me pay for the "bare necessities" but I pay for the toys and other things my parents deemed not as important. Anyways on with my question I'm beginning to tell my life story it seems Laughing Laughing In short, I do have some money but not enough to buy super expensive mouse toys. So I was wondering if there's any diys or store bought toy suggestions that don't cost too much. - Brianna Heart

brianna.love
Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Curious

https://www.instagram.com/brianna.plautz/

Back to top Go down

New Mouse Toys Empty Re: New Mouse Toys

Post by SarahAdams Tue 17 Nov 2020, 1:51 pm

You might enjoy making some of the toys and hides in this video, all free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZPE19IDa2o&t=174s

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Clementine Tue 17 Nov 2020, 2:08 pm

My parents did the same thing! They said they'd pay for the necessities, but toys, chews, ropes, hides, and hammocks don't count. As a result most of my enrichment is DIY. I made like seven braided ropes from old t-shirts, and they have a lot of hides made from old cardboard boxes- the boxes that cream cheese and butter come in, part of a fizzy water box, the end of an egg carton, etc. I haven't done anything fancy, but I find my mice love it if I take a small box and cut holes in it. There are also numerous toilet paper rolls in their cage, some with additional peepholes cut in the top and some without. I made a climbing wall from old puppy gate as well as a ladder to get up to the second level, which my dad and sister made out of wood. It also serves as a hide which my mice love.
New Mouse Toys 16056410

Hope this helps!

Scorpio Sluggish

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brianna.love Tue 17 Nov 2020, 2:40 pm

@clemintine @sarahadams thank you both so much for the suggestions!!

brianna.love
Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Curious

Back to top Go down

Post by PeachesandPepper92918 Thu 19 Nov 2020, 6:56 pm

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t46-totally-free-toy-ideas

Here’s a thread of mouse toys! You can also look at the Mouse DIYS subforum, found under the Mouse Products forum.

Current mice: Pheobe, Blossom, Daffodil, Zinnia, Marigold,
and Aster
Remembering: Peaches, Pepper, Tulip, Orchid, Iris, Luna, Noche, Mrs. Frisby, Daisy, and Benson
PeachesandPepper92918
PeachesandPepper92918

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Fri 20 Nov 2020, 1:16 am

I'll let you in on a little secret - even when you buy all the expensive toys you can, the mice usually enjoy the recycled trash you give them more. Laughing

There are absolutely endless ways to entertain mice without spending a lot of money! Toilet paper rolls, cardboard boxes, tissue paper, the list goes on. Others have given some links with examples, and if you look on Youtube you'll find plenty of DIYs. (Lots will be targeted towards hamsters, since they're more popular as pets, but they'll work for mice too!)

A favorite animal Youtuber of mine is ErinsAnimals, she has a lot of DIYs on her account.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brianna.love Fri 20 Nov 2020, 9:00 am

@peachesandpepper92918 thank you so much I will be sure to check that out!

brianna.love
Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Curious

Back to top Go down

Post by brianna.love Fri 20 Nov 2020, 9:02 am

@chiroptera wow! I had no idea mice were able to entertained by the simplest household items hahahah Laughing

brianna.love
Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Curious

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Fri 20 Nov 2020, 11:22 am

They absolutely do love all manner of trash. I whipped up this little portable play area for them in about 20 minutes, using stuff I had lying around, except for the mini Crittertrail tube. They love it! Laughing

New Mouse Toys Q7JwXKV

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Fri 20 Nov 2020, 11:42 am

Another example. I saw this chew toy and thought they might like it. On closer look I saw it was just cardboard and sisal string. You can stuff little seeds and treats into the honeycomb part of the cardboard.

I made them myself for virtually free and you can put as many layers or items on it as you like!

Store:
New Mouse Toys TXKooPW

Homemade (the mice really enjoy these)
New Mouse Toys VxMyHP9

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brianna.love Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:15 pm

@sarahadams do mice really like cardboard that much??

brianna.love
Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Curious

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Wed 25 Nov 2020, 7:06 pm

brianna.love wrote:@sarahadams do mice really like cardboard that much??

These are the first mice I've ever had (previously had rats who are very different) and my mice have no interest in wooden chew toys but seem to adore cardboard - tubes, chunks, hides, or treat holders. They love it all. I think it must feel good for them to chew and nibble. There are so many things you can make for them with simple cardboard boxes. Just make sure you remove any tape or stuck-on labels first.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 26 Nov 2020, 12:42 am

My mice like wood, but they like cardboard too!
I buy toys from shops every now and then, especially sea grass toys. I make my own for the most part (popsicle sticks are amazing), but store-bought toys last a little longer and are usually cuter than whatever I throw together lol. Bird toys are fun.
I make hammocks out of fleece and non-toxic hot glue (can't sew to save my life), cut up egg cartons and drink holders, make pyramids out of toilet paper rolls, so on. I find they also like if you put some tubes down and then all the bedding on top of them, like tunnels for them to find later. Lots of options!

Caillou's* favorite toy at the moment is a cardboard drink holder from McDonalds propped up like a ladder. He has nearly destroyed it in under two weeks.

*Testing out this name!

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Thu 26 Nov 2020, 8:16 am

River wrote:My mice like wood, but they like cardboard too!
I buy toys from shops every now and then, especially sea grass toys. I make my own for the most part (popsicle sticks are amazing), but store-bought toys last a little longer and are usually cuter than whatever I throw together lol. Bird toys are fun.
I make hammocks out of fleece and non-toxic hot glue (can't sew to save my life), cut up egg cartons and drink holders, make pyramids out of toilet paper rolls, so on.  I find they also like if you put some tubes down and then all the bedding on top of them, like tunnels for them to find later. Lots of options!

Caillou's* favorite toy at the moment is a cardboard drink holder from McDonalds propped up like a ladder. He has nearly destroyed it in under two weeks.

*Testing out this name!

Oh, sea grass, yes! I got some strips of it and the mice immediately got quite excited, jumped on it, and chewed it to pieces very quickly. They also spent time removing the back walls of some seagrass hides I got them. So industrious they are.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

River likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum