Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

weird sprouted pasta

3 posters

Go down

weird sprouted pasta Empty weird sprouted pasta

Post by disastervibe Mon 23 Nov 2020, 2:56 am

So I have this pasta in the cupboard my mom gave me that I and everyone else in my household hate the texture of, and I was wondering if it'll be okay to give as an occasional treat to my girls? I know that pasta is usually okay to give to mice either raw or cooked, but as this is made with lentils and soybeans in the pasta not just wheat and other grains, I was wondering if it'll still be okay to give them sometimes? I know it seems kind of high in protein...

The full ingredients list is: organic sprouted wheat, organic sprouted barley, organic sprouted millet, organic sprouted lentils, organic sprouted soybeans, organic sprouted spelt

weird sprouted pasta Img_7117
weird sprouted pasta Img_7118

P.S. I know the box has a bible verse on it, but please don't take that as me bringing religion or anything onto the forum! I didn't even know this brand existed until my mother sent it to me lol.

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

weird sprouted pasta Empty Re: weird sprouted pasta

Post by Robin~ Mon 23 Nov 2020, 6:03 am

Hello!

Mice tend to not process legumes well, so it may be best to steer clear depending on if they have legumes in their main diet and tend to handle those well. Otherwise all the ingredients are definitely safe.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Mon 23 Nov 2020, 2:08 pm

A little history ...

The brand is actually "Food For Life", and Ezekiel 4:9 is the bible verse from which comes the recipe for the product.  It is one of the earliest recipes we have a record of.  Although it is sparse (to say the least) in step-by-step instructions for making the bread, that is likely because back then everybody who had to know how to make bread DID know how to make bread and didn't need a recipe written down -- only the particular ingredients, in the case of something new.

That is true of recipes and cookbooks all the way up to the early 1900s.  I enjoy reading them, from the translation of Apicius's book of Roman cookery from 2000 years ago all the way up to hand-written recipes from Edwardian England, but I'm not sure I'd want to rely on one if I was planning a dinner party.  A little too much guesswork; a little too much room for error.

People who might object to the biblical source of Ezekiel bread for its religious connections can, of course, try a loaf and decide if it's any good on its own merit.  Your family has given thumbs down to the pasta, but in the 1980s I had a friend who seemed to only ever have Ezekiel bread, which came from Trader Joe's.  I never tried any, but I HAVE had other sprouted-grain breads, and they are dense, moist, and very satisfying.  Especially with a big schmear of peanut butter.  Wink

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Mon 23 Nov 2020, 2:20 pm

Robin~ wrote:Hello!

Mice tend to not process legumes well, so it may be best to steer clear depending on if they have legumes in their main diet and tend to handle those well. Otherwise all the ingredients are definitely safe.

Okay, that's good to know!

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Mon 23 Nov 2020, 2:22 pm

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop wrote:A little history ...

The brand is actually "Food For Life", and Ezekiel 4:9 is the bible verse from which comes the recipe for the product.  It is one of the earliest recipes we have a record of.  Although it is sparse (to say the least) in step-by-step instructions for making the bread, that is likely because back then everybody who had to know how to make bread DID know how to make bread and didn't need a recipe written down -- only the particular ingredients, in the case of something new.

That is true of recipes and cookbooks all the way up to the early 1900s.  I enjoy reading them, from the translation of Apicius's book of Roman cookery from 2000 years ago all the way up to hand-written recipes from Edwardian England, but I'm not sure I'd want to rely on one if I was planning a dinner party.  A little too much guesswork; a little too much room for error.

People who might object to the biblical source of Ezekiel bread for its religious connections can, of course, try a loaf and decide if it's any good on its own merit.  Your family has given thumbs down to the pasta, but in the 1980s I had a friend who seemed to only ever have Ezekiel bread, which came from Trader Joe's.  I never tried any, but I HAVE had other sprouted-grain breads, and they are dense, moist, and very satisfying.  Especially with a big schmear of peanut butter.  Wink

That's really interesting! Actually, I think it sounds great as a recipe for bread, there was nothing wrong with the flavour, it just has a really gritty texture for pasta. I've never had sprouted-grain breads, but I love seeded and artisanal ones. Now I kind of want to try making the bread recipe (though I've only ever made bread once before lol).

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Mon 23 Nov 2020, 3:29 pm

Ah! Baking! Baking is so relaxing to me ... and then I have to wash all the equipment and clean up my mess. grrrr....

As a person who was once invited to "go pro" with my own line of cookies (but didn't want to move from Malibu to New Hampshire to do it), if you don't mind too much I'll offer some brief suggestions for the aspiring new bread baker: Start with a simple white bread. Maybe a French loaf. Get your confidence up by mastering those techniques. Then move on to whole wheat, and read advice (online and/or in books) about how you should adjust your technique for the difference between whole wheat and white bread flour. Sprouting your own grains comes later. Happy Bread Baking!

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

disastervibe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Mon 23 Nov 2020, 3:54 pm

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop wrote:Ah!  Baking!  Baking is so relaxing to me ... and then I have to wash all the equipment and clean up my mess.  grrrr....

As a person who was once invited to "go pro" with my own line of cookies (but didn't want to move from Malibu to New Hampshire to do it), if you don't mind too much I'll offer some brief suggestions for the aspiring new bread baker:  Start with a simple white bread.  Maybe a French loaf.  Get your confidence up by mastering those techniques.  Then move on to whole wheat, and read advice (online and/or in books) about how you should adjust your technique for the difference between whole wheat and white bread flour.  Sprouting your own grains comes later.  Happy Bread Baking!

Thank for the tips Smile Most of my baking has been limited to cookies, gingerbread men, and other desserts. In the mean time I can look around and see if I can find any places that sell Ezekiel bread and give it a try (we don't have Trader Joe's here, so that's a no go unfortunately).

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum