Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Normally quiet mouse is now loud?

3 posters

Go down

Normally quiet mouse is now loud? Empty Normally quiet mouse is now loud?

Post by CiaraR Mon 14 Dec 2020, 6:47 am

I had two mice, Dika and Pitch Black. They've been in a tank together since I got them and have been inseparable in the 1.5 years I've had them. Sadly, Pitch Black died about five days ago. Pitch Black was a very active mouse who had A LOT to say and loved to play/be held. Dika, on the other hand, has always been very quiet, very shy, and not a fan of being held. Now she's squeaking, making sounds that resemble a chicken, and on occasion making a "tssk" noise (like sucking on teeth). I made sure I showed her P.B. before I removed her from the cage and cleaned everything. The tank she's in is 10 gallons so I don't think it's the size of the cage. Is this normal behavior? I have two other mice as of three days ago, but they are currently in another tank for three weeks.

CiaraR

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Normally quiet mouse is now loud? Empty Re: Normally quiet mouse is now loud?

Post by Snoot3 Mon 14 Dec 2020, 1:31 pm

Hello, if the squeeks are in line with the breathing it could be a respiratory infection. That "tssk" noise could be sneezing. I would take her to the vet. If the squeeks don't align then maybe she is stressed out from losing her friend. Or she is being more social because she has nobody else to talk to. She might be talking to you! But it is really abnormal to have a talkitive mouse. Mine has talked all his life so i am not worried but the fact that yours just started could be worrying. Look on youtube to see what respiratory sounds sound like. It is very distinct and you may even hear crackling with it
Snoot3
Snoot3

CiaraR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaraR Mon 14 Dec 2020, 5:24 pm

thank you, I was beginning to worry it might be a respiratory issue. I noticed this batch of Aspen was dustier than usual, I'm going to call her vet tomorrow and get her in ASAP. She's not crackly like in the video i saw, and she's quiet until she hears me- but i'd' rather err on the side of safety.

CiaraR

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 15 Dec 2020, 12:55 am

I have been strangely blessed to have 3/7 of my mice be a little vocal, so over the years I have (mostly) learned to tell the difference...but I still watch very closely whenever I hear something new from them.

When my Maier finally succumbed to old age, Graham started chattering excessively. I imagine she was depressed and desperate to communicate, or maybe just trying to figure out where her sister was. She stopped shortly after. I believe this was when she finally realized what had happened.

It could be the same thing, I imagine. I would be careful just in case, which I see you are doing, but the loss of her sister may explain it.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

CiaraR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaraR Tue 15 Dec 2020, 8:16 am

I did notice yesterday she was breathing and quiet until I called her name. Then she came out and starting doing that faint chicken noise. It's not quite a squeak more of a grunt? I've got a close eye on her, but I'm still waiting to hear from the vet. I think she might just be calling out for PB or attention in general since she's alone for now.

Thank you River!

CiaraR

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum