Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

40 gallon breeder

3 posters

Go down

40 gallon breeder Empty 40 gallon breeder

Post by Myminizooxo Wed 23 Dec 2020, 9:17 pm

Hello, I currently have 4 females in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I was wondering how many do you think would fit comfortably in it. I don't necessarily agree with the calculator.

Myminizooxo

Cloud 9

Back to top Go down

40 gallon breeder Empty Re: 40 gallon breeder

Post by Yesimwater Wed 23 Dec 2020, 11:49 pm

Yes I think 4 female mice could comfortably fit in a 40 gal breeder, I'd say 3-5 would be the amount of mice you can keep in one(5 would be really pushing it tbh), but it also depends on your mice themselves, one of my mice does horribly in anything under 600sq inches and that was when I just had two mice, but her sister did great in my 450 sq inch cage while I used that cage for them both I had extreme bar chewing, monkey barring and aggression from the first girl I mentioned while I used that cage. So again it will really depend on your mice and how they respond but 3-5 is what I think would be okay normally in a cage that size.

I apologise if this is confusing it's very late, and I'm very rambly at the moment.
Yesimwater
Yesimwater

Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Myminizooxo Thu 24 Dec 2020, 12:11 am

Yesimwater wrote:Yes I think 4 female mice could comfortably fit in a 40 gal breeder, I'd say 3-5 would be the amount of mice you can keep in one(5 would be really pushing it tbh), but it also depends on your mice themselves, one of my mice does horribly in anything under 600sq inches and that was when I just had two mice, but her sister did great in my 450 sq inch cage while I used that cage for them both I had extreme bar chewing, monkey barring and aggression from the first girl I mentioned while I used that cage. So again it will really depend on your mice and how they respond but 3-5 is what I think would be okay normally in a cage that size.

I apologise if this is confusing it's very late, and I'm very rambly at the moment.
It's no problem. I'm getting a topper for it too. I just upgraded them from the salvic hamster metro haven cage or whatever it's called and they all did great in it. I was thinking about getting another one after I get my topper maybe but I want to wait until I see how my current girls react to it because my alpha is very dominant so it might not even work out. I'd it doesn't I'll put them in something else and probably give the topper to my gerbils for their food sand water and wheel since they always burry them. I just figured my mice would appreciate it more because I can hang so many more toys in it without worrying about it being too close to the bedding

Myminizooxo

Cloud 9

Yesimwater likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 25 Dec 2020, 1:09 am

No forum really agrees right now. Every site I'm on has a different standard they follow, and there aren't enough studies to say conclusively. I will say there is a study that showed three females thrived in a cage about this size, and they generally prefer their friends over all else.

Three would give you 200sq inches each. Pretty standard. This is what a German cage calculator I found recommends, and they are considered to have very high standards for mouse care. Also, see above.
Five would give you 200sq inches for one mouse and 100+ for each additional. This is a common standard.
Six would give you about 100sq nches each. This is a common standard.
Seven would give you 10 gallons for one mouse and 5 for each additional. Also a common standard...

You see where I'm going here. The mouse community is in a time of transitioning from one standard to another and we can't quite decide where we're going. One thing we can all agree on is you should clutter the cage a lot; they hate open spaces. My suggestion would be to watch their behavior and figure out for yourself if these individuals are thriving or not. Like the above comment describes, many mice seem to have their own preferences.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Yesimwater likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down