Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can I trust a breeder?

4 posters

Go down

How can I trust a breeder? Empty How can I trust a breeder?

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:09 am

My grandma and I are getting three females in June. I was wondering how to tell if the breeder is reputable without visiting the facility? Since there are many mouse experts on here, I have decided to link the website. My grandma talked to them and they said they could have a litter in June. Can you guys tell me if this breeder seems good? Its the closest (and basically only) one to my grandma town. Thanks! Confused edit* I cannot post links until I have been on here for 7 days, does anyone mind posting it in the comments? I will PM whoever can, the link!
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

How can I trust a breeder? Empty Re: How can I trust a breeder?

Post by Peachy Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:51 am

You can PM me the link if you want. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:05 pm

Ugh i cant even PM links yet. The website is called 80'stoysale, you could look up mice breeders in MN also.
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:19 pm

Earlier I was trying to set the permissions by group, but I guess the 7-day rule is all or none. Sorry. Sad

Here's the mouse page: http://www.80stoysale.com/miceadoption.html

I know someone already gave you this link, but in case you missed it, here's 10 Questions to Ask Your Mouse Breeder! https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t55-top-ten-questions-to-ask-your-mouse-breeder
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Mon 25 Apr 2016, 2:32 pm

So, what do you think?
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 25 Apr 2016, 2:35 pm

Gabbi, what you need to do is get in touch with this breeder via email and start asking them the questions in the article Abeona linked you to. That's the only real way to know if they're reputable or not. Read the article, ask the questions, and decide based on their answers.

From what I can see, I'm not so sure about this breeder. Their mice look like pet-types, and I don't like the fact that they had the mother and father in the same tank for no apparent reason other than pictures. But again, you need to contact them via email and ask the proper questions. There's not really an accurate way to tell just based on the website.

EDIT: Been looking over it a little bit more. This breeder says he'll breed up to three females with one male at the same time. I'm not entirely sure about the safety of this, but I guess it depends on how he separates the girls after impregnation. Also, what I really don't like is that he weans his babies at three weeks old. That's a bit alarming to me. As mouse children need to be with their moms for four weeks, even more for girls, this doesn't strike me as anywhere near safe. But again, email him, Gabbi.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 25 Apr 2016, 2:53 pm

When I shared the link I was busy and hadn't read through the site. Looking at it now, some things are a little unspecific and I could be jumping to conclusions, but this is where the 10 Questions to Ask Your Breeder list will be handy...

More specifically, I would email this person these ones:
#1. Do you provide care sheets for your mice? What food are they eating now? How old are your pups sold? When are your mice retired? (I'd also ask how young they start being bred.)

#4. Will you provide a detailed pedigree for these mice? Can you provide a health history of this line? Do you guarantee the health of your mice to some degree?

#7. How many mice do you produce in a month? year? Do you cull your lines? How many mice does your mousery currently house? What happens to the mice that are not used in the breeding programs?

Besides the males staying with the moms and babies (back to back litters aren't healthy for the mom OR her litters)...

Twenty one days is a little early to wean (unless there are back to back litters). When the boys are weaned they should be SEPARATED, not kept in same sex groups. Maybe that'd be something to ask about... How long are their boys housed together after they're weaned?

The 5-6 cages of 1-3 females with a male thing is worrying. If you do a little math, that's A LOT of potential babies to have all at once!!! That's why I said to ask number 7. Especially since it says something like, "I try to have mice available at all times," and "The available mice change so frequently." What happens to them all?!

Overall, I'm not really sure I'd call this person a good breeder.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:26 pm

Thanks for the advice you guys. I would be really disappointed if this breeder wasn't safe, as its the only breeder anywhere near my grandma. I don't want to buy from a pet shop. In the worst case scenario, would a mouse be more healthy from a pet shop, or from this breeder? (I have already checked adoption sites)
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:42 pm

I wouldn't support any sort of unsafe breeder, honestly. When you're stuck between two irresponsible practices, it can be hard to choose. In the end, who or where you get your mice just comes down to your own ethics and choices. For me personally, I'll always look for mice from ethical breeders, shelters, or rehoming situations first, and if there's absolutely no one available, then I'll get a mouse from Petsmart. I only buy from Petsmart because they have a no live feed policy, and I like to support that, but many others on here will buy from feeder bins to save feeders. So if this breeder isn't good, its your choice where you go.

Try looking on Craigslist to see if anyone near you needs to rehome some mice.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCheeks Mon 25 Apr 2016, 5:26 pm

Nope nope nope. Uhhhhh nope. Don't worry, I shall elaborate!
Going through the page Abeona linked, the first issue I see is they wean babies at 21 days, 3 weeks. While mice can survive being weaned at 3 weeks, they really should be left with their mother until 4 weeks. Some use the excuse that "they don't drink off their Mums after 3 weeks" when in reality, they do AND being with their mother for 4 weeks provides them with much more than "nutrition".
While at first I thought "oh, maybe they know their terms" when they said they breed long hair, roans and said 'varieties' not 'breeds' but then I was forever seeing "blue masked" when masked isn't a variety and said mouse looks like a piebald (or as you would say broken) black.
Third issue and honestly my major issue, They have Dad WITH Mums (varying stages of pregnancy and those with litters) and babies. Sorry but that is a massive no no in my books..
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Tue 26 Apr 2016, 12:53 pm

I am sure everyone will be happy to know that we have found 3 6 month old females to adopt! Here is the story, I was told to look on Craigslist for any rehoming ads and I found one. It was from 22 days ago, but they stated that it if it was still up, they were still available. I contacted them last night and they responded. Sadly, they said that they gave them to the humane society ONE DAY prior to me contacting them, and they forgot to take down the ad. They told me where they brought them and said they would love for me to pick them up as they really want to know that they go to a loving and educated home. I checked the website and they were all still there. I have sent an email to them inquiring about their adoption. I have not received a response yet, but it has not been very long since I sent it. The only problem is that we weren't planning on taking in any mice for another 2 more months, so I don't know how we will sort that out. If anyone would like to view them online, they are at the Golden Valley Humane Society. Just put the small and fluffy filter on in the adoption tab and you should find them. Their names are Una, Rikku, and Tiffah. I don't know if I will keep the names, but I may because they are already tamed to those names. Ear wiggle Love
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 26 Apr 2016, 1:31 pm

That's great news! Adoption is a wonderful way to get mice. Mice usually don't get adopted very fast, so you can take your time gathering the necessary supplies before you go and get them. But I wouldn't wait too long, just in case.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Tue 26 Apr 2016, 1:40 pm

Thats actually really helpful. Do you know how long I could possibly wait? We aren't anywhere near prepared yet and I wanted to wait for when I'm there to get them..
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:22 pm

They're cute! I love how they're black, white, and black and white. Razz
I don't think there's really a way to know how soon mice might get adopted from a shelter. The ones at my shelter have been their for a looong time, but they're boys. Girls seem to go a little faster. I'd just try to get your supplies together as soon as you (or your grandma?) can and then see if the mice are still there when you're ready.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Wed 27 Apr 2016, 4:49 am

OH no! Tiff isn't on the website anymore Worry
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down