Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swelling around the eye

2 posters

Go down

Swelling around the eye Empty Swelling around the eye

Post by M O U S E Sun 28 Feb 2021, 9:27 am

Unfortunately, a new problem has risen in my girl Roisin. I recently noticed that the eye that she has been having previous problems with is now swelling. Her eye is squinted, and then all around her eye is hard and swelling. It almost looks like the bone surrounding the eye socket have extended (of course that's not what happened, but I think that's a good way to describe it). There also seems to be a very small amount of sticky liquid on the edge of her eyelids and the corner of her eye doesn't open. She seems to be acting perfectly fine though, and she doesn't seem to be scratching her eye as I haven't seen any wounds like she would make when she would scratch her eye while she had other problems. However, I did see just a small bit of blood yesterday.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Any experience?

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Swelling around the eye Empty Re: Swelling around the eye

Post by River Sun 28 Feb 2021, 1:09 pm

I wonder if allergic conjunctivitis is a thing in mice? This seems to be a reoccurring thing with her. It'd make sense. I've had that myself and it often comes and goes as it pleases. I wonder if an air filter or a drop of children's Benadryl on occasion would help? Confused

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Sun 28 Feb 2021, 1:18 pm

River wrote:I wonder if allergic conjunctivitis is a thing in mice? This seems to be a reoccurring thing with her. It'd make sense. I've had that myself and it often comes and goes as it pleases. I wonder if an air filter or a drop of children's Benadryl on occasion would help? Confused

I think when I was reading up on her previous eye irritation, I saw there were two types of conjunctivitis. I think it was allergic and viral/bacterial. Do you have any experience using children's Benadryl with mice?

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 28 Feb 2021, 1:59 pm

Yep! I gave it to Graham pretty often, though we were under vet supervision with her. We just put a drop into some applesauce when she was feeling especially bad.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Sun 28 Feb 2021, 3:46 pm

River wrote:Yep! I gave it to Graham pretty often, though we were under vet supervision with her. We just put a drop into some applesauce when she was feeling especially bad.
Perhaps I'll try giving her a very very small amount to see if it helps. I still have those saline eye drops too, although those seemed to irritate her because she would scratch her eye after I'd use them. I'll look for an air filter too. Also, I did feel around the swelling and felt hard if that makes any difference. Thanks for the ideas.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down