Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artificial grass and reptile rocks?

3 posters

Go down

Artificial grass and reptile rocks? Empty Artificial grass and reptile rocks?

Post by Mallymkun Tue 09 Mar 2021, 4:36 pm

Hello again! Asking for some advice on using an artificial grass patch and rock marketed at reptiles under their water bottle and near their food bowl in a tank enclosure? Is it safe to use artificial grass if it’s sterilised? Same question about the rock(s), I’m trying to make a naturalistic habitat for them so want to include some fake plants too, if possible.

Because I’m aware that it wouldn’t be a good idea to have live plants, in case they turn out to be allergic, along with the need for them to be watered, which would raise the humidity in their tank, which I’m aware isn’t safe for their respiratory system.

So, if I make sure they don’t chew them, and that all which goes in the tank is sterile, this should be ok? Taking inspiration from Emiology’s naturalistic enclosure, minus the coco soil. What are your thoughts on this? If it’s unsafe, are there any alternatives? Thanks!
Mallymkun
Mallymkun

Back to top Go down

Artificial grass and reptile rocks? Empty Re: Artificial grass and reptile rocks?

Post by River Tue 09 Mar 2021, 8:59 pm

I've added certain live plants without issue. They don't last long enough to bother them. Laughing Cat grass was loved! Coco soil is also fun.

I do wonder about artificial plants being eaten overnight. Might be better to stick with clippings from live plants or 'sprays' of different kinds? Of course, I could be wrong. Anyone else?

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

M O U S E, SarahAdams and Mallymkun like this post

Back to top Go down

Artificial grass and reptile rocks? Empty Re: Artificial grass and reptile rocks?

Post by M O U S E Wed 10 Mar 2021, 6:35 pm

My worry is that anything plastic you mentioned would be ingested. I have seen pet youtubers on youtube use plastic plant looking things, but I personally wouldn't risk it. There are plenty of living plants that a mouse would adore. And as @River suggested, sprays would be a good idea. You can even press and dry out certain plants/leaves.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down