Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All natural tank with soil and rocks??

5 posters

Go down

All natural tank with soil and rocks?? Empty All natural tank with soil and rocks??

Post by Colors Sat 14 Jan 2017, 1:10 pm

Hi, I've always wanted to make a natural habitat for my mouse and hamster. I was wondering if ecoearth soil, wood, and rocks are safe to put in a tank. This would make care cheaper because I wouldn't need to clean the tanks as often and they could tunnel like they do in the wild. Also, what live plants are safe for mice, gerbils, and hamsters that are easy to care for? Thanks!!

~Cheeks
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

All natural tank with soil and rocks?? Empty Re: All natural tank with soil and rocks??

Post by CallaLily Sat 14 Jan 2017, 1:51 pm

I know cocofiber is safe (eco earth is a brand name). I've used rocks before that I've washed well. There are certain types of wood that are known to be safe. There's a list around here somewhere.

I have no idea what plants would be safe for mice and be tough enough to grow in the tank. As for hamsters, I'm pretty sure there's a list over on Hamster Hideout forum.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

All natural tank with soil and rocks?? Empty Re: All natural tank with soil and rocks??

Post by Colors Sat 14 Jan 2017, 1:55 pm

Oh tysm for answering I've been trying to find this out for ages! Razz

I'll have to see if my mom would let me use ecoearth instead of bedding. How often would you have to clean this setup? I have used rocks before after washing them, but my mouse likes to pee on them. This would mainly be for my dwarf hamster. Smile
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:04 pm

Organic potting soil (no chemicals, fertilizers, etc.) is safe, though you want to make sure you treat it for parasites before giving it to your mice. A few years ago I had a dig box with soil and freeze dried worms mixed in, the mice had a blast with it!

This topic discusses safe woods: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t766-safe-wood

The safe, live plants is an interesting idea, but I bet the mice would just dig them up. I want to research this when I have time. Razz You could probably use cat grass that's sold in pet stores. I know mouse owners who used to buy the grass and then clip it for their mice to play with... you can do that with other plants too, like basil or parsley. Then harvest and wash and put the clippings in with your mice to enjoy. Or maybe you could find out if the plants that seeds in your seed mixes come from are toxic, and then grow them.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:27 pm

Thanks Peachy Smile

This idea is mainly for my hamster as my mouse is sick right now with tumors. Sad I've read about cacti being safe for gerbs and hams, but I'm not sure about the cost of those. I'll probably stick with the soil, rocks, and safe wood. Maybe I'll post pictures of the natural habitats if my parents allow me to try this experiment out! Wink
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:53 pm

Sounds like a cool idea! I used to use organic potting soil as bedding for my male mouse, it really helped with the odor. He had a blast digging around in it and creating his own 'terrain' Laughing
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Sun 15 Jan 2017, 11:53 am

I have another question, can you use sand for gerbils? I read that it's too heavy, is this true? Thanks Smile
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 15 Jan 2017, 1:13 pm

I wouldn't use sand for gerbils. It's not good for them to breathe and I can't imagine it'd be good for burrowing. Gerbils lovelovelove to dig and tunnel and rearrange their accessories. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 15 Jan 2017, 2:16 pm

I kinda remember some discussion circulating natural tanks on TFM, but it was decided that they were either a bad idea or not worth pursuing. Since I can't recall exactly why, my thoughts may be obsolete. I do feel like Eco earth would get really messy both for the mice and for tank cleaning. It just seems like a hassle, especially live plants.
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Sun 15 Jan 2017, 2:55 pm

Just one more question, should I moisten the soil to help them dig tunnels? Otherwise it would be very dusty, which probably isn't good for their little noses.

And since my mouse is sick anyway I wouldn't be doing this for her. (I won't be getting more mice for a while anyway because I might be getting gerbils, and my parents won't let me have both) When I do get more mice I might get one male and try this with him if I'm successful with the hamster and gerbils. Smile Thanks for the information, everyone's helping me a lot on this forum!
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 15 Jan 2017, 3:13 pm

Living in a wet environment would hasten bacteria growth and be extremely uncomfortable for the animals.
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Mon 16 Jan 2017, 6:08 am

Alright, I'll probably stick with bedding anyway. Thanks everyone Smile
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down