Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it still safe to feed my mice veggies and fruit with mouse pallets?

+2
CAPSLOCK
Illumimoe666
6 posters

Go down

Is it still safe to feed my mice veggies and fruit with mouse pallets? Empty Is it still safe to feed my mice veggies and fruit with mouse pallets?

Post by Illumimoe666 Fri 15 Jul 2016, 4:01 am

For the past 8 months or so that i've owned my 3 mice their diet consisted of this one "rodent" seed & nuts mix from Winco and I added fruits and veggies in their. They've been eating that fine and always been happy healthy mice, no problems. They we're running out of their mix but a couple days ago I saw at Walmart they had pallet food specifically made for Rats & Mice,(The brand was called something like "fresh harvest"). I've been giving it to them for the past couple of days and they seemed to enjoy it fine. But should I still continue to give them fruits & veggies into their diet? I only did that because I know mice need it for nutrition ect but now that I have actual food for mice should I continue giving it to them? I don't want kill them by giving them too much, (Nutrition? Vitamins????lolwat)

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

http://middyrose.deviantart.com or middyrose.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Is it still safe to feed my mice veggies and fruit with mouse pallets? Empty Re: Is it still safe to feed my mice veggies and fruit with mouse pallets?

Post by CAPSLOCK Fri 15 Jul 2016, 8:04 am

Fresh veggies and foods are a good thing with any diet.

Be careful with pelleted diets as they can be boring and not allow mice to properly forage. Also most mice should have a specific amount of crude protein in their diet and the vast majority of commercial mouse diets go way over the recommended amount. I imagine walmart's brand is not the best.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Is it still safe to feed my mice veggies and fruit with mouse pallets? Empty Re: Is it still safe to feed my mice veggies and fruit with mouse pallets?

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 15 Jul 2016, 8:50 am

I agree with Capslock. Seed diets are much better for mice. The nutrition is the same so long as you are feeding a good mix, and seed diets are much healthier mentally and psychologically. Continue to give them fresh foods.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 15 Jul 2016, 10:22 am

I agree about lab blocks alone being boring. Also, most lab blocks in the U.S. are junk mainly made up of corn and soy and have too high crude protein.

Definitely continue to offer fresh foods at least twice a week.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 15 Jul 2016, 2:39 pm

Oh, no! Those wild harvest whatever its called blocks are bad quality, I wouldn't recommend feeding them. That's an all around bad brand.

Offering fresh foods is still safe, but the lab blocks are pretty poor.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 15 Jul 2016, 4:10 pm

I've been afraid to offer Mickey and fruits or veggies - I think because I heard with hamsters if they get too much it will give them diarrhea. Is this the same with mice? Or this won't happen since I would just be offering it twice a week or so and just a little at a time?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 15 Jul 2016, 4:22 pm

I believe that's only with fruits and veggies with high water content, like Watermelon, strawberries, cucumber, lettuce, etc.
If you feed a small amount of these it won't be a problem. Yesterday I just cut up one leaf of spinach into tiny little bits, and those have about 92% water content.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 15 Jul 2016, 4:46 pm

When first introducing veggies and fruits, go slow. Offer a small piece of one kind the first time and see how their belly handles it. From there you can slowly add small bits of other safe veggies and fruits. I think even with hamsters the main problem is offering too much too soon. Wink And keep in mind they don't eat huge amounts anyway.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 16 Jul 2016, 12:58 pm

Thank you all for your info on this subject. I will start small and slow and see how it goes. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Illumimoe666 Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:27 pm

Thank you guys! I will continue to feed my mice seed mix then

Sol
Marshmallow Love
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

http://middyrose.deviantart.com or middyrose.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down