Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much to feed 3 mice

2 posters

Go down

How much to feed 3 mice Empty How much to feed 3 mice

Post by mousymom191 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 3:56 pm

Hi, I have 3 mice and I'm beginning to think I'm overfeeding b/c they're looking kinda chunky Laughing ... I'm just wondering if there's a measurement that's appropriate for 3 young female mice. (I feed them Vita Prima mouse food if that helps)

mousymom191
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Sheepish

Back to top Go down

How much to feed 3 mice Empty Re: How much to feed 3 mice

Post by CallaLily Sun 03 Feb 2019, 5:11 pm

I always just put scoop in the dish (I think the scoop was 1/4 cup) and then refilled once they ate most of it.  A healthy staple food shouldn’t be restricted.  Mice have high metabolisms and need to be able to eat several small meals throughout the day/night.

Out of curiosity, what color are your chubby mice?  Some lines are prone to obesity and you can’t do much other then cut out unhealthy treats, make them work for their food (scatter feed, puzzles, put it up high), bump up fresh foods a little bit (slowly and not where it’s overtaking their main mix), and give them more exercise in and out of their home.

I noticed the mix you feed has a fair bit of sunflower seeds. They may be eating those up first and then if you’re providing more mix every day, they may be mainly gobbling those up and not the healthier bits. If this may be what’s happening you could try only refilling their dish when they’ve finished most of the food (check for stashes).  They’re not necessarily bad but a lot of mice will eat them first so if they’re replenished daily, they’ll just fill up on all of those favorite fattier seeds every time.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by mousymom191 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 7:27 pm

CallaLily wrote:I always just put scoop in the dish (I think the scoop was 1/4 cup) and then refilled once they ate most of it.  A healthy staple food shouldn’t be restricted.  Mice have high metabolisms and need to be able to eat several small meals throughout the day/night.

Out of curiosity, what color are your chubby mice?  Some lines are prone to obesity and you can’t do much other then cut out unhealthy treats, make them work for their food (scatter feed, puzzles, put it up high), bump up fresh foods a little bit (slowly and not where it’s overtaking their main mix), and give them more exercise in and out of their home.

I noticed the mix you feed has a fair bit of sunflower seeds. They may be eating those up first and then if you’re providing more mix every day, they may be mainly gobbling those up and not the healthier bits. If this may be what’s happening you could try only refilling their dish when they’ve finished most of the food (check for stashes).  They’re not necessarily bad but a lot of mice will eat them first so if they’re replenished daily, they’ll just fill up on all of those favorite fattier seeds every time.
So you give your trio 1/4 cups of food? It kinda seems like a lot but I'll trust you and give them that tonight. The heavier of the bunch is a blonde/ light brown color btw Smile

mousymom191
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 03 Feb 2019, 7:59 pm

Yes. I think that was the size of the scoop I used but I only refilled their dish when they finished most of it. Which I think ended up being every other day.

Brindle mice tend to be prone to obesity but I’ve seen other groups say yellow mice are too. Though they may just be “poorly” marked brindle.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down