Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse drinking ALOT of water

3 posters

Go down

Mouse drinking ALOT of water Empty Mouse drinking ALOT of water

Post by WBCarson Wed 28 Jul 2021, 9:09 am

I have some wild mice i raised from pinkies.  Well, actually i had 3 and didnt separate them soon enough so now i have 7.  The most active and healthy mice i ever had and very sociable.  Males in one large cage, 2 females in another.   I am a fanatic about clean cages and fresh water. Diet is some fresh foods along with Harland lab blocks.
One of the females i have noticed has been drinking alot of water.  Its increased over the past 3 weeks.  She is about 3.5 years old.   Still runs around, does eat.  Yesterday i noticed her out during the day drinking.  Today again.   Her face appears to be puffy. Some ticking noise when she breathes.  No Diarrhea that i can find.
The other female mouse is fine.  They drink from a dish, not a bottle. Dish is washed with soap and water daily.  I have been cleaning the bedding daily because of increased urine.
If she were a cat i would say diabetes or kidney issues.
Any ideas or what i can do?  
She is obviously a "wild" mouse and our exotic Vet will not see them.

Last edited by WBCarson on Wed 28 Jul 2021, 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edit age, added water dish type)

WBCarson
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Mouse drinking ALOT of water Empty Re: Mouse drinking ALOT of water

Post by hazelbluebell Wed 28 Jul 2021, 2:52 pm

i dont know a lot about it in mice in particular but if her pee smells sweeter than the other mice and shes lost weight then its probably diabetes, the sugar doesnt get processed so just goes goes straight through. you can buy human test kits (keto-diastix) at most pharmacies that i know do work for hamsters so probably work for mice to. juat put them in the travel cage with no bedding and dip it in as soon as they go. as you cant go to the vet if you think it is that theres not a lot more you can do than cutting out any fruit or sugary treats x

Last edited by hazelbluebell on Wed 28 Jul 2021, 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add about the test kits)

hazelbluebell

Back to top Go down

Post by WBCarson Wed 28 Jul 2021, 9:42 pm

Actually she seems bigger, her face seems more swollen.   I have started a low glycemic diet.  
I would like to supplement her with some vitamins.   Does anyone know if Pet-Tinic is ok for mice?
https://www.drugs.com/vet/pet-tinic.html

WBCarson
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 6:34 am

This might be a kidney problem, disfunction or failure. I'm not sure vitamins will help. Also the vitamins are made with corn syrup and sugar so...

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by WBCarson Tue 03 Aug 2021, 10:20 am

She passed away.
Being a female i had her living with her mom who kept coming out of the nest looking at me and going back in to attend to her as she died. So i put my hand in there and pet her as she was laying with her. She knew what was happening. So sad.
After i took everything out, bleached the cages, disinfected all toys, ladders...everything. Just in case.
Moved mommas cage close to the other so she can be closer and see other mice playing.
I am also cutting back on treats and going to a more healthy diet.

WBCarson
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Tue 03 Aug 2021, 9:54 pm

So sorry, but good she had her momma and you with her. Maybe momma can join your other girls after a period, if they accept her and her them.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by WBCarson Thu 05 Aug 2021, 10:03 am

Its amazing just how much little critters like this realize. Momma by nature is a bit shy. not afraid of me, just not as crazy and active as the boys. She is all about gathering goodies and storing them.
That morning she was out looking at me, then going in, coming back out to me. Obviously concerned.
There are no more female mice. I know females need companionship. The mice cages are rather large. I have hers right beside the boys and so far shes been active and came out for a treat this AM.
They are old enough they dont really act like they are in heat, barking and all that like when they were young.

WBCarson
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum